24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

need guidance for more safe power

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need guidance for more safe power

Hi, My name is Josh. I am new to diesel bombers and a proud new owner of a 99 cummins !!!. My cummins is a 99 body style with a 01 motor and auto tranny. It has head studs, air dog, and some baffle out of the turbo (sorry like i said new with diesels)... has 4inch exhaust back and a tri pod pillar gauge with egt boost and trans temp and a k&n air intake. i would like to get more hp fuel economy and torque!!! what is my best option as far as a programmer goes i want the best one for my motor. my dad has a 06 with the tst which is nice but keep hearing about edge juice with attitude as well as quadzilla adrenaline... but whats the best in your guys opinion ??? also!! my intake ... Cfm+ banks afe??? which do i choose also there is a PacBrake Max Flow Power Elbow as well as GDP Air Boss Intake Plenum Cover& Grid Heater Delete kit.... what do i do?????? which do i do first whats the best route PLEASE help there r soooo many options and all clame to be the best and i dont know which is or isnt please and info in the right diresction would be great thank you to helping make my CUMMINS a real cummins

Last edited by 99 cummins build; 07-26-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

There isn't an exact answer to "what is the best", as the best is what works for you. So lets go step by step.

First, the baffle is a silencer ring. Quiets the turbo whistle, but there are no gains from doing so.

Next, as you have an Auto tranny, you need to be careful with the power mods. The stock auto is rather weak, and even a 65hp chip/programmer will tear it apart.

For power, it depends what features you want. I'm an Edge guy, personally. All power and no features, Edge Comp all the way. If you want gauges, alerts, turbo timer, and other goodies, Edge Juice with Attitude (commonly know as EJWA) CS (color screen) or CTS (color touch screen).

The intake, well, for the most part it's decoration. Until your pushing big power/air flow, they really aren't necessary. I know of 2 guy that have made over 625HP with the stock intake horn. There are better places to invest money before an intake horn. I wouldn't delete the grid heater if you live in a cold climate. They really help cold starts.

It's good to see the head studs and air dog are in, heads hold the beast together. A fuel pressure gauge is a good idea. If you don't want another mechanical gauge in the cab, the EJWA will cover the fuel pressure gauge, and many others.

A big thing to consider is budget. $500 - $600 for an Edge Comp and another $200 for fuel pressure, and your ready to rock. Fuel wise, that is. Or, $900 for the EJWA. A few hundred more for a bunch of options.

To hold that power, a good Torque Converter (T/C) and Valve body (VB) is a good place to start. It's pretty much the minimum one should do to hold the power safely. A full rebuild can put you in the $5000 area, where as the T/C and VB can be purchased for around $1500 or so, plus the install time.

Another thing to think about is where you want this truck to go. After a chip/programmer, gauges and transmission mods, the next is more air and fuel. Bigger turbo, bigger injectors.

The following users liked this post:
99 cummins build (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome thank you this is very helpful