Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Replaced fenders, now won't shift from first?! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/98218-replaced-fenders-now-wont-shift-first.html)

Obee 06-24-2012 05:13 PM

Replaced fenders, now won't shift from first?!

Hey guys, recently replaced my rusty front fenders for some rust free fenders but now the truck will not shift out of first gear, any ideas? It has first gear and reverse.Truck is a 2000 24v ext. cab with Auto tranny. Will not shift on its own nor if you help it by doing it.. Checked for bare wires but did not see anything. Any connections I may have missed that would cause this? All works as normal but will not leave first.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also checked for codes and it shows (P done). No codes at all.
Getting frustrating as i drove the truck home last week with no worries, parked it for 3 days while i did the fenders and now all of a sudden it is acting up. Changed out my Tranny Relay with no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

wyodiesel92 06-24-2012 08:53 PM

Sounds like a ground maybe. There are quite few grounds that are either on the fenders or right by them

Obee 06-25-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by wyodiesel92 (Post 908889)
Sounds like a ground maybe. There are quite few grounds that are either on the fenders or right by them

I removed 3 grounds from the fenders in total. 2 on the drivers side at the front by your headlight bracket. Two studs with 1 Ground to each coming from a thick harness. New fender did not have the studs so they are grounded with self tappers into the fender. Third was on the passenger side from my battery ground over to my fender. Any others i should look for? Or what would those 2 grounds on Drivers side fender be for?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

So looking further I believe my tranny output shaft speed sensor is buggered. Anybody run into this before?

Sarafin 06-25-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Obee (Post 908896)
So looking further I believe my tranny output shaft speed sensor is buggered. Anybody run into this before?

That sounds extremely plausible. You could also try sanding down where your grounds are and reconnecting.
best of luck
-Sarafin :up:

wyodiesel92 06-25-2012 08:13 PM

Paint under the ground can render them useless or lacking, I'd start with the grounds and then fix the speed sensor

tht77 06-26-2012 01:15 AM

My 2000 threw a code when the output speed sensor went bad. It did the same thing but if I unhooked the battery cables for 10 minutes it would shift for 15 or so minutes. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck.

photomonkey 06-26-2012 03:40 PM

Ground issue... what wyo and sarafin said +1...

Sand them down and reconnect. Bare metal!!

Obee 06-27-2012 09:46 AM

Replaced the sensor and all is good again! Thanks for the help guys!