Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   my 1st oil change (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/96587-my-1st-oil-change.html)

colinheitshusen 05-26-2012 09:56 PM

Agreed with rufushusky, i change every 4000 with rotella on a 225k motor and it comes out somewhat gold still. IMO its a waste, just spend a little extra on a good filter is what I do.

gestep 05-28-2012 02:47 PM

Just bought a 1987 Mercedes 300SDL with 200K Miles. The oil was very black so I changed it yesterday. Now I discover that Diesels require "C" designation oils and I filled it with SN for gas engines that I had for my other cars. Can I run that around town a while or should I take it out right away? Many thanks.

docweld 05-28-2012 03:58 PM

what about Rotella T6 synthetic? is Amsoil synthetic better??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I am doing a 3X change to my 78500 truck. drained the oil after 4000 miles and ran 30 mins and took a sample and it was blacker then black, yes I did a 3x change to the top hi pressure side and still stick and black. so I will do one more flush change run a little bit and pu a good synthetic in it. doing the same to my JD tractor.

rufushusky 05-28-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by gestep (Post 898313)
Just bought a 1987 Mercedes 300SDL with 200K Miles. The oil was very black so I changed it yesterday. Now I discover that Diesels require "C" designation oils and I filled it with SN for gas engines that I had for my other cars. Can I run that around town a while or should I take it out right away? Many thanks.

What oil did you put in? Some sn oils are cf rated as well, which might work for your older Benz. But next time a cj4 would work better.

gestep 05-28-2012 07:48 PM

Thanks, it is Castrol SN which appears to be for gas engines only.

boosted 05-29-2012 07:09 AM

I run Delo as my Uncle trucking company used it for many of millions of miles with no issues..

I do have an oil analyst done on my truck every two years to see where I am at... I get 7500 miles before my oil starts to get bad.... No need in wasting money on myths... Use a good filter and get your oil checked out ....

PalmB 05-30-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by colinheitshusen (Post 897913)
Agreed with rufushusky, i change every 4000 with rotella on a 225k motor and it comes out somewhat gold still. IMO its a waste, just spend a little extra on a good filter is what I do.

what filter do you use? i recentl called the previous owner, Rotella is the oil he ued

Eddiebuntain 05-30-2012 08:12 AM

For a Cummins running conventional oil, Fleetguard would be the best IMO. :c:

rufushusky 05-30-2012 08:15 AM

IMHO for a cummins running any oil (synthetic or conventional) the "best" filter is a Donaldson elf7349.... 15 microns absolute. If you google it you can find it online for 12 bucks or so. Fleetguard stratapore is another great filter, 25 microns absolute. Baldwin's might be the best bang for your buck however, 30 microns absolute for usually under $6 bucks.

Any of the major brand oil filters (donaldson, fleetguard, baldwin, wix etc) will work just fine on a Cummins.

Eddiebuntain 05-30-2012 11:04 AM

Personally, I run Fram filters in my truck,always have. I've heard bad things about them, but then I look at my clean oil analysis and the fact that I've never had a problem with them, and figure those bad rumors are just myths. They're inexpensive, easy to find, and have served me well. But if you ask for the best, I'll point you to Fleetguard.

I agree with Rufushusky, any major brand should work fine.:c:

Same with oil, Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella, etc., any major brand oil with the appropriate API rating will work fine.