Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Changing convertor in my 47RE a couple questions??? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/95611-changing-convertor-my-47re-couple-questions.html)

Zukifreek 05-03-2012 12:59 PM

Changing convertor in my 47RE a couple questions???

I bought a single billet convertor for my 01 and I also got a new front seal, filter kit and 14 liters of ATF+4. When it is out I want to set the bands and also would like to clean out the governor solonoid and I will also flush the cooling lines and cooler. Does anyone have a picture of the valve body with the components labeled? Do I need to use a portapower to spread the frame and get the crossmember out? Also will I need to support the engine when the trans is let down? I've never pulled the trans from a Cummins before so I'm not sure if the mounts will keep it from tipping too far and damaging the exhaust or fan shroud etc. Thanks for any tips or advice.

lobsterman04 05-04-2012 11:29 AM

You won't need to support the engine and a portapower would be a serious help to get that cross member out, but it can be done with a sledge hammer. As for the governor solenoid. Find a pic online and look for it on the VB. I can't remember where it is.

JBearSVT 05-04-2012 01:23 PM

I've done a few of them now. Thankfully we have a portapower, so it was there if we needed it, but every truck is different. One of them probably wouldn't have come out without beating the hell out of it without the portapower, but other two were fine without it. One required some prying, the other dropped right out. If you have access to one it sure can't hurt to have it ready, but you may not need it.

If you don't mind, what'd you spend on the converter?

Zukifreek 05-04-2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBearSVT (Post 890985)
I've done a few of them now. Thankfully we have a portapower, so it was there if we needed it, but every truck is different. One of them probably wouldn't have come out without beating the hell out of it without the portapower, but other two were fine without it. One required some prying, the other dropped right out. If you have access to one it sure can't hurt to have it ready, but you may not need it.

If you don't mind, what'd you spend on the converter?

I paid $595 plus $40 or so shipping. It was built in Calgary. I was going to chance going with an ebay vendor, but I'm a long way from them if I had an issue. The only part I'm leary of is they call it a 200 rpm above stock stall?? I didn't really think I needed a higher stall, but apparently they are supposed to work really well. I guess I will find out soon enough.

JBearSVT 05-04-2012 05:31 PM

I'd like at least 200rpm lower stall myself. I'll definitely be interested to hear how it works out.

RAW 05-04-2012 07:27 PM

As I know your location, I would talk to Mel at Excell. I know you have heard the commercials. He will give you straight up answers. I'll try and find a picture in my service manual for the valve body, but won't be able to until later this weekend, maybe Monday morning.