Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   She won't start after winter storage! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/95478-she-wont-start-after-winter-storage.html)

docfrye 05-01-2012 08:21 AM

She won't start after winter storage!

My '99 RAM3500, 24v Cummins will not start!!!!!

She has been setting most of the winter. I went to start her yesterday and "no go". She turns over fine but it will not "fire" off and run. She doesn't even attempt to hit. I don't want to keep crankin' on her as I know that is bad on the injector pump. She has never failed to start previously. Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated.

- - 1999 Dodge RAM3500 Ext. Cab, 4-wheel drive, auto, all stock - -

Whit 05-01-2012 08:50 AM

You lost yer fuel prime. Bump
Starter so lift pump will run. Do this a few times then try again. If that doesnt work the. Crack injector lines 1,3,4 at the head and bump
Starter agin till fuel
Comes out. Tighten lines and fire it up

Dr. Evil 05-01-2012 09:02 AM

Welcome. Thanks for posting in the right forum.

When you bump the starter can you hear the lift pump run? do you have a fuel pressure guage?

Be careful cracking injector lines the fuel is several thousand psi...dont get your hands anywhere near it.

docfrye 05-01-2012 02:12 PM

Thanks you for the information.

I listened for the lift pump yesterday and did not hear anything. Is it under-the-hood or in the tank? Does it make enough noise that it should be obvious?

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge.

Any other suggestions, please go for it. I have never had any trouble with the truck so have not had a need to learn to much about it other than to tear down the front hubs, replace the brakes, and keeping the ground connections clean.

Whit 05-01-2012 02:19 PM

you will hear the lift pump run, it is mounted on the drivers side of the block underneath the fuel filter............bumping the starter gives it a 28 second run command, you must turn the key to off then bump again though

Dr. Evil 05-01-2012 02:33 PM

You should hear the lift pump but sometimes they are in the tank - it was a half assed chrysler "fix"

Its best to get a fuel pressure guage on it asap.

Are you sire your batteries are good?

docfrye 05-01-2012 03:00 PM

Oh yeah. Batteries are hot...it turns over great...just won't start. When you say a fuel pressure gauge, is that to test pressure under-the-hood or to install in the truck to monitor pressure?

RanchhandTCR 05-01-2012 06:36 PM

You can check it with a fuel pressure gauge and it be best if you get one in your truck too.

Dr. Evil 05-01-2012 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by docfrye (Post 889770)
Oh yeah. Batteries are hot...it turns over great...just won't start. When you say a fuel pressure gauge, is that to test pressure under-the-hood or to install in the truck to monitor pressure?

You MUST have a guage in the cab. There is no debate or working around this.

docfrye 05-02-2012 10:52 AM

I APPRECIATE all the help and info. The lift pump does not appear to be operating. I am going to test it with 12v direct to pump tonight. Is a Delphi replacement a decent pump?