24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

2002 with 98-99HD steering retrofit question

Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 with 98-99HD steering retrofit question

I got all my 98-99HD parts on the way. Is there a way to add a steering dampiner to this setup? Is it needed? Please explain how and why.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did this on mine a few months ago. I used one of the clamps that is replaced from the old stuff and it clamps right around the tire rod and fits your original shock just fine. Been that way about 6 months or more.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

There is one on there from the factory. Are you asking if you can add second one?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1AMatt
There is one on there from the factory. Are you asking if you can add second one?
To answer the question, no. The 99 and 2002 steering dampiner mount differently. I got it figured out now.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok. I finally am getting the cash flow to fix my steering issues.

Over the weekend I did the retro fit 98-99 HD steering upgrade. All of my tie rod ends now have grease fittings and that really tightened up the steering a great deal. I still need to get the truck aligned (Wife was going to get it done for me when I was at work, but she has the flu and weather is nice so I’ve been on my motorcycle). I was also able to fit my stock steering dampener by drilling out the holes on one of the old adjusting sleeve clamps and bolting it to the new steering link.

One thing I did notice is it seems that when I turn my wheel, I see the truck flexes in the other. To fix this I have a steering stabilizer (frame stiffener) from customdiesel.com on the way. I hope this will eliminate the flex I am seeing.

I also have my upper/lower ball joints, sway bar links, sway bar bushings and upper/lower control arm bushings (all Raybestos Professional Grade) on the way as well as some Gabriel Max shocks (on special order). I have already replaced the track bar.

Last edited by jyatesmp; 05-01-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Search this Thread