Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Transmission question! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/94170-transmission-question.html)

SRTcummins 04-08-2012 04:47 PM

Transmission question!

My trans is shifting smoother than a hot knife slicing butter...Should I be concerned? Theres no power loss in gears. 2nd and 3rd have almost no difference in rpm/gear ratio thats the only thing thats making me have second guesses. Any input would be great!

oh, and im running level 3 on edge juice for city and highway driving. (for mpg purposes)

Thanks,
Nick :w2:

turbo2332 04-08-2012 09:02 PM

did this just occur or has it always been smooth. banging gears isnt really what is good in most situation however that is what peoplethink they should feel. the frictions are designed to slip while engaging making that smooth as butter situation possible. if they are burn or glazed over you will be able to slip them under full power and your fluid will be a nasty smelling brown.

SRTcummins 04-09-2012 08:57 AM

as i add more power from the chip it shifts smoother. But you wont feel mine kick when switching gears unless your wot or giving it like 2% throttle haha

turbo2332 04-09-2012 09:25 AM

sounds like its working like it should

empty wallet 04-09-2012 02:31 PM

I completely disagree. You don't want it slipping shifts... I think you have it totally backwards lol

And yeah it shifts softer when you up the ante because it's slipping worse, if you turn the edge all the way up and nail it in 3rd or 4th it doesnt slip? even from low rpm's?

turbo2332 04-09-2012 02:54 PM

thats what im saying if it doesnt slip under WOT/full power and hes just worried about smooth shifts there most likely isnt anything to worry about. check your fluid that will tell you if things are slipping. and i ment just exactly what i said.

SRTcummins 04-09-2012 07:51 PM

i have done runs on level 2 from a light at wot and the trans wouldnt slip, it will flutter and feel like it hesitates but it still goes and wont slip. When i slam it in overdrive the t/c unlocks and the engine revs up. when it shifts you cant feel it, it like slides right into the next gear. i just dont want to be melting my gearset together! :td:

turbo2332 04-09-2012 08:13 PM

your not. check the fluid just cause and if you have a stock converter it is going to let loose sooner than later. you should absolutly upgrade the converter and VB as soon as possible or you will have problems but what you discribe not is just posibly a converter with the beginning signs of the shakes involving OD.

empty wallet 04-09-2012 08:15 PM

If it doesn't shudder or slip in the middle of gears when you get on it your fine... You wouldn't believe what my tranny has been thru :c:

SRTcummins 04-09-2012 08:17 PM

it shakes like a bad u-joint at stops if i get on it, other than that its fine guess :nope:
The guy used to pull horse trailers for crying-out-loud. i think this tranny may be a good one :jump: *knocks on wood* haha ill use my graduation money for it
NO BIG DEAL screw college :tu: