24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

How far is too far? cam insertion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How far is too far? cam insertion

OK, so the cummins 5.9 timing cover cracked. (rear support on air compressor/hydraulic pump was loose) I tried the old pull the cam gear then cook it to put it back on trick. While putting the cam gear back on, the prybar in the fuel pump hole slipped, the cam went in maybe 1/2 or 5/8 inch deeper than it's proper position. I looked around back and the bell housing covers that plug, so I cannot see anything.

So the question is: How far is too far?
or more scientifically: how much space is there between the rear end of the cam and that freeze plug behind it?

Did I drive out that plug?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 AM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

This is what AllData has to say...

Old 03-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Default re: weasel

Are you avoiding the question: how far is too far?

We've all seen that page before. The "too far" is exactly the question.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

Too far is farther then it would go with the trust washer in place. If you pushed it farther then that i would say you went to far.

Got a bore scope? You could stick it in there and see if you dislodged the oil plug. If it were me thats what I would do.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Default Wish I had a bore scope

now I'm thinking about pulling the tranny to see this plug.

If someone had a 24 valve block with no cam, they could gently push the cam back and see how far it goes until it touches the plug. (I should have before i messed up) That would tell us something. Was hoping my original post would reveal some real world experience like this.

thanks for the input weasel

Old 03-11-2012, 05:33 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

NP. Sorry about the bad luck mate! Hope its not the worst case. I have trans off if you want to see anything back there I can take a pic. Tried to find that plug on AllData but couldn't. Dunno wtf it is.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

The block adapter plate covers the soft plug in the back of the block. The plate is flat and I don't believe the plug could be driven out to the point of leaking due to the "collar" made into the soft plug. Once the cam gear is installed the thrust washer will position the cam properly and prevent the cam from walking further back. The trans adapter plate is actually o ringed preventing the need for the soft plug in the newer engines. So I don't believe there is any way to say what is "too far" but rather, was it moved far enough to leak? Which I'll go back to my previous statement about the soft plugs design. The rim of the plug would hit the adapter plate before being dislodged to the point of failure. At least that's my opinion. Still, nothing wrong with being better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
The block adapter plate covers the soft plug in the back of the block. The plate is flat and I don't believe the plug could be driven out to the point of leaking due to the "collar" made into the soft plug. Once the cam gear is installed the thrust washer will position the cam properly and prevent the cam from walking further back. The trans adapter plate is actually o ringed preventing the need for the soft plug in the newer engines. So I don't believe there is any way to say what is "too far" but rather, was it moved far enough to leak? Which I'll go back to my previous statement about the soft plugs design. The rim of the plug would hit the adapter plate before being dislodged to the point of failure. At least that's my opinion. Still, nothing wrong with being better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope your right however my 2 computer programs (AllData and Mitchels) and the 99 Ram factory service manual i have all say be careful because you can hit it causing it to leak...
Im with you on the better safe then sorry part!