24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

47 RE problems lots of work all ready done...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47 RE problems lots of work all ready done...

Please read whole post

so i have a 2001 dodge cummins ext cab short bed saposed to be a high output fedral emmisions that was specialy orderd....idk anyway im REALLY frustrated, so first problems first
when cruizing at any speed and go from no throttle to WOT the torque converter unlocks and it sits at 3500rpm and goes NO WHERE, and it goes from 1st 2nd 3rd and when you want it to go into overdrive you have to let off the throttle and wait for it to shift, yes a code was kicking 1740 witch as far as i know is a tcc or o/d solenoid code, long story short after 6 months i have done band adjustment, transducer, govenor pressure switch, tranny filter, well it helped kinda but WOT never went away so i cleaned all my grounds and added a ground directly from my pcm to my battery on pass side, witch both my batt are brand new red top ops, btw, so tonight i changed my tcc or o/d soleniod and now i feel a **** load more power but!!
NO SECOND GEAR! you can Rail the throttle it spins the tires and redlines at 3200 and wont leave first gear then you let out and trick it into 3rd and ride it out to over drive but 2nd gear is imposible to find no matter the speed or throttle position, any ideas???

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the intermediate servo is leaking, bad oring or just bad servo... I believe there's two servos, reverse and intermediate...check that out

Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Diesel Fan

thank you, where do i find this?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I know the reverse servo is at the rear of valve body and comes out with vb. The front one, intermediate servo, if I remember right is on the passenger side towards front of trans housing. There's a snap ring that holds it in. I know there's books u can buy online to complete a rebuild.. Here's a link to one... Hope this helps u out bud. 46RE 47RE 48RE ATSG TECHTRAN MANUAL Rebuild Book Transmission Guide Dodge Mopar | eBay

Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

First answer,
the intermediate servo is the front servo by the bell housing. It drives the front band that wraps around the front clutch housing. It CAN be replaced or (my suggestion) upgraded with the trans in.

The reverse/low servo is the rear one that drives the band wraps around the reverse drum. It is only removable with the trans in if you pull back the OD housing and push the pin out that holds in the lever arm.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Here is the problem though...

Your 2nd gear does NOT just use the intermediate band... I will look them up for you on AllData and let you know but it is probably something like... Direct band, front clutch, rear clutch, overdrive clutch.

When did the OD issue start originally? How, where, what were you doing?

Also, you dont have an HO motor if you have an Auto.

Last edited by DieselWeasel; 03-10-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
globalwarmingcontributor (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks DieselWeasel... i was sure someone would chime in.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Here, below, is the apply chart... By comparing what does work in your trans and what doesnt work it looks like your issue would best be diagnosed by checking the front band AND front servo...
Perhaps you have a broken strut or anchor, bad seal, or lack of fluid flow.
There are ways to test this if you have a high pressure fluid gauge...
Did you adjust the front band? If so to no success I would pull the pan and install an upgraded servo with new seals (73$ from transmissioncenter.net)

I am also attatching the fluid flow chart for 2nd gear (dark black line). Perhaps that can help you trace out something you replaced but may have done that caused the issue.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Diesel Fan

thank you all very much for your help so far wat i have gathered is that when my transfer pump went out with in a month of owning the truck and i took it back to the dealer they apparently never adjusted my bands and never replaced my transducer like i asked, wow but i have personaly replaced the gov press switch and now the tcc solenoid twice
the first solenoid was the 2nd gear issue, i went on a limb and replaced it hoping i got a rotten egg, well i did,
so currently the truck drives pretty well it shifts through all gears and a friend of mine who is a ASE dodge tech told me to replace my transducer and adjust the bands,
when i had my pan off i saw no damage or leaks to any seals or the eitgher of the servos the only trans leak i have had was a small line leak and the rear tailshaft seal i have personaly fixed both,
i think i will take your advise on upgrading my servo since i will b droppin the pan again for band adjustment and transducer replacement thank you all for your links and help

Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

glad you got it all figured out bud... let us know how it all goes.