24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

projector head lamp for sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default projector head lamp for sport

Alright my truck came with I believe 5000k hid lights and they are in Oem sport housings and the high beam is just junky halogens. I was looking at projector housings and didn't know if I went with the sport housing if im going to have to change out the ballasts for a dual beam set up or if I can use standard halogens on the high side and still have some functionality. I need to change the bulbs on the high side because they aren't bright at all but I never have to use my high beams anyways. The sport housings are cheaper than single beam too but not sure if I need to change out things. Just tired of being flashed at because of the stock housings

Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Have you adjusted them down, where they don't shine up so high? You can look at retro solutions also they have projectors among other stuff.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yeah I've adjusted them and all but they still are super bright. I don't know anything about them either because I can't find a label on the ballasts. They are just blue boxes. I just didn't know if I could just put in better halogens for the brights or if I needed to get something setup for high beams. Im guessing on temperate too. They are almost pure white with just the smallest tint of blue. From looking I thought they were either 5000k or 6200k, which I guess are horibbly bright. The problem I thought with separate lights is the warm up for the bulbs

Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

4300 is the brightest and what oem's use. 4300 is as close to daylight as possible.

With hid's, the higher the number, the less light you get.

Higher numbers also mean you start getting into those crappy "color capsules"....you know, blue, purple, etc....

One last thing without trying to sound like the "hid police"; an hid capsule in a projector housing designed for anything other than an hid capsule is going to give you less performance from your hid's than they are capable of....you're leaving distance and beam spread on the table that you could otherwise use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The higher the number the more purple you go too... I had 6k in mine... White/Blue. They put a LITTLE less light then the lower K numbers but I HATE yellow lighting!! The white illuminated everything AWESOME!

I can personally tell you how HORRIBLE sport projectors are! I have had 2 kits from Ebay! They both have SERIOUS issues... They dont work right at all! They have the HALO around the projector... It stays lit up when everythings off because the Ram headlights have HOT at all times to the bulb. Due to the cheap CHINA plating and complete LACK of insulation on the LEDs they short on the chrome housing that is shorted 12v HOT because of the hot at all times headlights.... When switching the fog lights on they some how turn on ALL THE LIGHTS... High, low, fogs... It is NOT my truck because my stock stuff worked PERFECT but the housings were cracked....
OH and they dont fit right either... i had to cut away some of the headlight bucket area on the truck body because the low beams bucket section hit it!

Dont waste your time unless someone can suggest a different brand!!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Diesel Wrench

I found a set on alligator performance and they say hid projector headlights dual beam. They looked good but they are quite a bit cheaper than the single beam which didn't make sense to me

Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Projector headlights I melted the lens in the new projector light in my 98.5 on high beam after 20 minutes went back to stock with some good aftermarket bulbs for factor lights and problem solved

Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

Originally Posted by wyodiesel92
I found a set on alligator performance and they say hid projector headlights dual beam. They looked good but they are quite a bit cheaper than the single beam which didn't make sense to me
If those are the 166$ one on their site your talking about they are FING GARBAGE. Got the EXACT same ones from ebay! JUNK!

MOST projectors are NOT made for HID bulbs... This includes the aforementioned POS's i got from ebay!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Diesel Wrench

Dang. I almost think it'd be easier to convert back to single bulb lights. I like the hids but the f'ers are shining at like 140-150 degrees out of the lamps. Still great visabilty out front but blinds everyone. I thought of driving on hi beams since they are dull like low beams but they are aimed so low they are useless without readjusting more. Guess for now I'll try cranking them down more

Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

Did you put them in the correct direction.... Some aftermarket china HID kids have a deflector on them... The ones i was running were "bi-xenon" they had a hi and low beam... the instructions specifically said to put the high beam in a certain position.