Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   possibly rebuilding tranny (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/92160-possibly-rebuilding-tranny.html)

globalwarmingcontributor 02-29-2012 07:52 AM

possibly rebuilding tranny

when i get back stateside im thinking about rebuilding my 47re tranny myself. im wandering if i should tackle this task or pay someone to do it. im mechanically inclined as i work on apache helicopters in the army. just wanted to get some opinions... im going to go with full rebuild and 3x tq converter. thanks guys :ty:

RAW 02-29-2012 07:57 AM

I asked myself the same thing when I did mine. I opted to pay the labor and have a transmission with warranty, on everything. It paid off. I had a snap ring break inside the transmission, and I didn't pay a dime for anything.

globalwarmingcontributor 02-29-2012 08:53 AM

well, i know i can do it, ill have all the time in the world to complete the rebuild. since im leaving the Army next year. im not sure i want to throw out thousands of dollars out for someone to do what i can do for WAY cheaper.. you know what i mean? i rebuilt my buddies tranny in his ranger over here in korea in 13 days...he lost reverse gear, the clutch plates were bad!!! but his truck was 2wheel drive... so no transfer case..will i have to remove the transfer case on mine? i already have an HTS valve body sitting at the house, all i need to get is the rebuild kit, and my TC. may even go with billet input and output.

01quadcab 02-29-2012 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by globalwarmingcontributor (Post 865137)
well, i know i can do it, ill have all the time in the world to complete the rebuild. since im leaving the Army next year. im not sure i want to throw out thousands of dollars out for someone to do what i can do for WAY cheaper.. you know what i mean? i rebuilt my buddies tranny in his ranger over here in korea in 13 days...he lost reverse gear, the clutch plates were bad!!! but his truck was 2wheel drive... so no transfer case..will i have to remove the transfer case on mine? i already have an HTS valve body sitting at the house, all i need to get is the rebuild kit, and my TC. may even go with billet input and output.

well sometimes it's worth having warranty because weird things can happen. I have seen guys with 30 years of experience not be able to make a diesel trans live.

globalwarmingcontributor 02-29-2012 05:18 PM

i do agree with you 01Quadcab...you make a valid point. im still torn though... spend the money and have a shop do all the work...or i do it myself.... i wander if theres a shop out there, that would install a kit i buy for my tranny, and bring it in to them when i bring truck in, like goerend kit with 3x tc..anyone ever done that? i wander what the labor cost would be? or maybe if i dropped tranny, took it to shop for them to do the inside work, then i throw tc and tranny back in myself... i wander???!!!! :humm: