24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Upgrading in-tank LP ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Upgrading in-tank LP ?s

After driving a bit, I decided that I want more fuel going into the injection pump, after a hefty replacement. I am looking into the Raptor 100 and which way would you go about tapping into the tank, any way around dropping the tank? The pain is that I just topped off and don't want to drive around with insufficient fuel pressure and hate to transfer it.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 113 Likes on 109 Posts

as far as i know the lift pump gets installed inline with the fuel supply line. on mine the line runs along the frame under the cab on the driver side. to prevent the fuel from siphoning out when cutting the line i blew air down the line to clear it of fuel first. then i ran the pump while i bled the air out.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

How much pressure are you getting to the pump... As long as its above 7psi just wait till you run that tank empty. There really is no other way. You do NOT want to put the raptor in line with your stock in tank pump still connected. If you are going the drop the tank though i would get a sump style pickup. I had my draw straw run me out of fuel when i wasnt completely empty.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And there is another solution ....
Install the new pump on the rail ....wire it up - and keep power to the in-tank lift pump.

The in-tank lift pump will feed the new rail mounted pump ...plenty of pressure ....
When the tank is nearly empty - finish off the project ....drop tank and modify.

Alternately - leave tank full - lift the truck bed up/off the chassis and do your work from above. Plenty of people say taking the bed off /putting back on is less work/easier to do that dropping and re-installing the fuel tank.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by vineyardm
And there is another solution ....
Install the new pump on the rail ....wire it up - and keep power to the in-tank lift pump.

The in-tank lift pump will feed the new rail mounted pump ...plenty of pressure ....
When the tank is nearly empty - finish off the project ....drop tank and modify.

Alternately - leave tank full - lift the truck bed up/off the chassis and do your work from above. Plenty of people say taking the bed off /putting back on is less work/easier to do that dropping and re-installing the fuel tank.
Take the previous stated suggestion, if you're fuel pressure is fine then run the tank down, I've actually seen a sump that doesn't require dropping the tank, you cut the hole in
The bottom of the tank and feed their "horse shoe" up thru the hole. With a little finness you can save yourself over an hours worth of work, and no 1/4 tank issues. May run into 1/8 or lower tank issues under hard acceleration/braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Diesel Fan

The challenge is I'm running 8.5 psi at idle and drawing down to 6-7 under moderate throttle. Would the raptor help volume and pressure if i put it in series to get through this tank or does the pump in the tank completely restrict flow even running? Just installed this IP and don't want to roll the dice, not a gambler. The truck has only 48,000 miles and on it's 3rd vp44 (counting the original), this thing is chewing them up like m&ms.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Do you have a block or in-tank lift pump currently? If you need to access the tank, I suggest lifting the box off. I have dropped the tank, and pulled the box, and pulling the box is easier for me. Also, the tank can be full to the top when pulling the box and it won't make a difference.

In regards to running the pumps in series for a little while, I do not recommend this. I did this when I was out of town one, and the truck has never fueled the same since. I had a failing LP in the tank, then bought a block mounted pump. At idle I had 31 PSI of fuel at the VP44!!!! Way too much. At WOT it dropped to 16PSI, a definite flow issue.

If you have an intank pump, here is what I suggest. Buy the Raptor100, and pull the box off and install one of these:
DrawStraw™ V HiFlow

It will remove the pump assembly from the fuel basket, I have done this myself. I have never had any issue with low fuel level and still having fuel pressure.

If you have a block mounted pump, install the Raptor100 and put a bypass block in where the block mounted pump was.(this is what the factory did to mine, less the Raptor)

Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about the Raptor for my dodge, but i have a 2000 with the out of tank pump. I was wundering if it was worth the extra money to just get a FASS or Air dog or do these smaller, no filter, Raptors do just as well?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I think the extra filtration is well worth the money.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm thinking of utilizing the new pump to drain the tank into a drum, drop the tank, modify the pickup, install tank, install the new pump and use the old pump to put fuel back in. I don't have an a-frame or adequate help to lift it off. The only issue is where to pull the fuel out of the tank? As I understand, the return line has a check valve as well as the fill tube, maybe I can pull it past the LP in the tank?

Quick Reply: Upgrading in-tank LP ?s