24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cummins 5.9 dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins 5.9 dies

5.9 liter with VP44

This engine is in a crane. The engine runs great. For no known reason, it will die. It can immediately be started again. It may run for weeks with no problem. Then it will die. Last week it died several times in one day. Now it has been running without any problem. There are no error codes using laptop and INSITE. I know I am being told the truth by the operators because I have been in the machine when it dies. I have had INSITE running when it dies and saw no anomalies
This problem happend about 7 months ago. It does not act like a fuel problem where you would get rough running and hard to restart. It is more like an electrical problem. The last time it happened, I tried everything, even things I was sure it could not be (removed and cleaned tank, replaced fuel lines, replaced in line filter, replaced transfer pump, checked and verified engine grounds, pulled and proded every connection in the wiring harness, change main filter, verified transfer pump pressure, observed key offs to see if it was losing power to record a key off,- finally I changed the VP44 and everything was fine for the past 6 months. Now the gremlin is back. Has anyone had a problem with the VP44 where it causes the engine to die suddenly, and be able to restart immediately, without any error codes recorded? We use ultra low sulpher diesel up here. I have other 5.9's running up here and have not had this problem on any of the others. These engines run in extreme cold (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska). When I had problems last week, the OAT was -20F.
The problem up here is- sure it can be restarted easily, but the machines are left running day and night unattended. The engine dies and everything is frozen by the time the operator gets to it the next day.
I have ordered a wiring (Cummins sensor) harness. The control of this engine is multiplexed with another electronic control module that runs the machine. I am making the assumption that if, for some reason, the machine ECM sends a signal to stop the engine, that the engine ECM would record a key off. I do not show a key off after the engine dies.
Thanks