Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   So I'm having some problems with my new 99... (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/85463-so-im-having-some-problems-my-new-99-a.html)

Devon527 10-31-2011 08:43 PM

So I'm having some problems with my new 99...

Bought the truck last Wednesday, everything seemed fine when I bought it... thats not the case now.

Its a 99 with 230k, 5 speed, and a edge chip with 150horse injectors. Runs solid but has some flaws.

-3rd gear grinds every time I try to throw it in, unless I'm at really low rpm's, sometimes 4th too
-Power door locks dont work, I'm guessing I just have to take the switch and clean the connection
-right rear passenger door doesnt open from the inside
-I think I need a new clutch because when I drive for a long time, the clutch seems to slip...

Can anyone tell me how t ofix any of these problems? I want to mainly know if getting a new clutch will help with the grinding gears... Thanks.

tworks 10-31-2011 09:08 PM

My 3rd gear ground all the time when i bought it ..it was the syncros.. Can you shift into 1st or 2nd after letting out clutch and then pressing clutch to floor again? If so your clutch is disengaging ok, but you still may need a clutch if it slips under load when warm. I have heard of shift rail issues on these trans. I dont think that a clutch will fix your issues unless ALL the gears are grinding or hard shifts. Check your fuses for door locks and check for broken wires in door jams if fuses are ok. Cleaning contacts...good idea. RT rear door...Do you have a child safety lock activated??... broken internal linkages??

Devon527 10-31-2011 09:16 PM

Yeah first and 2nd are fine, so it must be synchro's. I didnt know there were child locks on the back doors...

Dr. Evil 10-31-2011 09:20 PM

Change youre tranny fluid. Castrol Syntorque or Amsoil are the only fluids to use.

I had a grind in my 6 speed. Put the proper fluid in and the grind went away.

Devon527 10-31-2011 09:21 PM

Awesome! Good to know, hopefully I can do that soon, I'm so broke its not even funny. Lol

fishhook 11-01-2011 09:39 AM

If the door is not opening from the inside it is probably the latch cable. Mine broke and would not open from the inside. It would only open from the outside. It is imperative to change the fluid in the tranny. I was having a hard time chifting my 6 speed, I changed the fluid and it slides in and out of gear like butter now.

dragpipe 11-01-2011 08:07 PM

pull the door panel off the rear and there is a cable that attaches to the outside handle mine jumps off its position every now and again

Devon527 11-01-2011 08:15 PM

Yeah I pulled the panel off, the backside of the latch broke off so the cable has no tension

Devon527 11-02-2011 09:58 PM

Checked my fuses, door lock fuse is fine. I popped the boot off the door to look at the wires to see if any were cut (my ex gf's jeep had this problem) and I couldnt find any cut wires that I could see... its bugging m. Any help?

01quadcab 11-03-2011 11:47 AM

make sure both switches are connected.