Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   rear end problems help please (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/84633-rear-end-problems-help-please.html)

CTDAC14 10-14-2011 09:30 PM

rear end problems help please

The truck is a 99 eclb 4x4 auto..just recently I started hearing a popping noise so I figured u joints well I take it to a clutch and joint shop by my house and they listen to it and tell me its coming from my rear end.. a friend tell my the pinion nut is loose one says the thing is skipping a tooth. Not sure what to go or how to tell what's goin on. Best way to reach me is by phone 937 6846621 need to get this figured out soon leavin Sunday to drop off a bobcat out of state and need to figure out if I need to borrow a truck

turbo20psi 10-14-2011 09:40 PM

The popping noise is the LSD(Limited slip differential).
Did you change the oil in the diff?

The popping sound is the clutches in the differential grabing. It may need a rebuild.

CTDAC14 10-14-2011 09:54 PM

I have not changed the oil yet. Not to disagree at all but i ts nota po:argh:pping its a hard noise to explain but it sounds like the torque that being put on the driveshaft. Could the linited slip issue havee anything to do witht he play in the pinion??

crazycooter 10-15-2011 02:59 AM

might want to tear off the cover and see what falls out in your lap, or at least looks like it might be about to. on your pinion nut, take your u joint off and see if you have any in/out play, back up your yoke with a bf wrench, and see if your nut is tight, I think it is supposed to torque to 300+ pounds

CTDAC14 10-15-2011 12:06 PM

Any other idears?

RAW 10-15-2011 12:09 PM

A Friend of mine had a tooth break off his ring gear a while ago. It made a funny noise as well. I never heard it, but did see the ring gear. The truck drove fine, just made noise. He found the problem by removing the diff cover, and visually inspecting the ring gear.

gardeeno 10-15-2011 03:20 PM

I had the same problem, but had to tear off the diff and I had a broken carrier at the side bearing . you have to open the diff to see.

CTDAC14 10-15-2011 10:43 PM

Pull the cover off todaycover off today there were some shavings on the magnet but nothing unusual ring looked good..will upload picture of what i. Saw that looked wierd

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Gardeeno is there anyway you can call me I got questions for you thanks! 937 684 6621

gardeeno 10-16-2011 04:02 AM

the thing is you have to remove the carrier to see exactly whats wrong, because when I removed the cover I saw the same thing and every thing looked intact.
I cant call you cause I live in Kingdo of Bahrain in the Persian gulf. you can email me at gardeeno3@gmail.com:tu:

CTDAC14 10-16-2011 09:57 PM

Thank you! I believe it might be my limited slip clutches. My question is well I don't have much money right now..what's the pros and cons to the lincoln locker? Once I get some money save up can I fix that..how does welding the spider gears do away with the LS? Will they still make the grabbing noise? Can't thank y'all enough for all yalls info