Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Lift pump question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/84626-lift-pump-question.html)

WaitinOnaCummins 10-14-2011 07:02 PM

Lift pump question

I had my lift pump go out on my truck wednesday, my question is. Does it almost always take out the injection pump as well?

Diesel Dawgs Performance 10-14-2011 08:32 PM

Re: Lift pump question

Only if its been running low fuel pressure for a while. That's why everyone with a VP44 truck should be running a fuel pressure gauge.

Luke

WaitinOnaCummins 10-14-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dawgs Performance (Post 809911)
Only if its been running low fuel pressure for a while. That's why everyone with a VP44 truck should be running a fuel pressure gauge.

Luke

I have a warning light, but i never drilled a hole for it so it fell under the steering wheel and by the time i looked at it the truck shut down. But before it shut down it was surging, so im not sure if that hurt the injecton pump either?.

Uncle Bubba 10-14-2011 08:51 PM

Your truck will run just fine without a lift pump. If you don't have a gauge, you will never know it's out. That's why the gauge.

As far as how long your VP will last without the LP, that's a crap shoot. Some die right away, I had one that I ran for over 2000 miles with no LP before I put an new one in. The VP still lasted another year or so after that.

So there is no real answer to your question. BUT, if your truck kicked and bucked to a stop, it's not because of the Lift Pump going bad. Take out a loan and call your order in for the new VP.

WaitinOnaCummins 10-15-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba (Post 809922)
Your truck will run just fine without a lift pump. If you don't have a gauge, you will never know it's out. That's why the gauge.

As far as how long your VP will last without the LP, that's a crap shoot. Some die right away, I had one that I ran for over 2000 miles with no LP before I put an new one in. The VP still lasted another year or so after that.

So there is no real answer to your question. BUT, if your truck kicked and bucked to a stop, it's not because of the Lift Pump going bad. Take out a loan and call your order in for the new VP.

yeah it was a kickin & a buckin for sure, i guess its time for that hot rod vp44 and an airdog:tu:

empty wallet 10-15-2011 03:25 PM

If the VP isn't throwing codes just run it... I let my lift pump go and about 3 weeks after I put my raptor in the VP quit. What Quadzilla are you running? a programmer on stock fuel system is just asking for trouble......

WaitinOnaCummins 10-16-2011 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by empty wallet (Post 810119)
If the VP isn't throwing codes just run it... I let my lift pump go and about 3 weeks after I put my raptor in the VP quit. What Quadzilla are you running? a programmer on stock fuel system is just asking for trouble......

i would run it, but it wont start. and it has am adrenaline on it, but i only run it on pl1. It only sees pl10 once in a great while