Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   5 minute, $5 throttle cable fix (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/84038-5-minute-5-throttle-cable-fix.html)

Gamecocks 10-02-2011 10:18 PM

5 minute, $5 throttle cable fix

3 Attachment(s)
So here was my problem:
Attachment 40132

I couldn't find a replacement ANYWHERE (locally), and the truck has to be running so I decided to make a temporary fix here are the steps:
Go to hardware store pick up *3' of 1/16" cable *2 1/16" cable stops *small washer (ill get the size later) and 2 wire rope cable clamps

You also need a 5/16 socket, flathead screw driver and crimping tool

Step 1: diconnect throttle cable from the bellcrank
Step 2: push the rubber grommet out of the hole using the flathead
Step 3: diconnect throttle cable from pedal
Step 4: push the sides of the connector in and push out
Step 5: go back under the hood and take out the throttle cable assembly

now you can start assembling your "make shift" throttle cable
Attachment 40133

the way to do this is place the new stopper on the new cable, measure the distance on in between the two and crimp in place. Then place the little plastic pieces as in the picture, set your washer on and crimp the other stopper.

replace the original cable guide and feed the new wire through.
Cut any excess (old wire) wire off of the metal rod (with the plastic piece, that connects to the bellcrank).
Clamp the new wire onto that metal rod like so:
Attachment 40134

And there ya go a quick, cheap fix to a broken or frayed throttle cable.

*Im sure this is commen sense kind of stuff to most people but if it happens to your going down the road your prob. going to pissed and not think about something like this so im just trying to help. please dont bash me for barney level stuff LOL

empty wallet 10-02-2011 11:11 PM

All I can say to this is you are lucky that didn't get stuck wide open like mine did, my fray was inside the casing... Dodge hit me something like $60 for a new one, and they had it in stock!

Gamecocks 10-02-2011 11:17 PM

it didnt get stuck at WOT, but it'd hang up at maybe 1/2 throttle stopping was SCARY! lol shouldnt they have a recall on this? i only saw a recall out for like 94-96 models?

ironhead79 10-03-2011 01:37 AM

You could also chk cycle shops some can make you a new cable !!!

rodbuilder 05-30-2016 12:35 PM

me too!

It happened to me at 70 mph on cruise towing a 753 Bobcat!!! And it was inside the sheath!

The engine wouldn't return to idle, so I pulled over at my exit looked it over and got a tarp strap out of the truck bed and hooed to the bell crank and around the hood cushion and, with a really sore knee from having to press so hard on the throttle (!!) I made it to the house 40 miles away!!!

Add this stupid engineering screw up to all the other Dodge garbage - dash cracking, bad seats, etc.......................