Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   cutting out/bucking (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/82964-cutting-out-bucking.html)

Diesel Drivin Gal 09-14-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by empty wallet (Post 798662)
NO! You must probe wire as stated in the link I posted, and match the voltage to the voltage printed with the barcode on the back of your apps sensor.

OK

turbo20psi 09-14-2011 06:07 PM

Sorry I dont take many pics when I'm working on these trucks there always a mess don't want to ruin the camara.You don't want to see this mug in the way of the pic.:scare2:

empty wallet 09-14-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by turbo20psi (Post 798667)
You don't want to see this mug in the way of the pic.:scare2:

:D :D

Too dirty and embarrassing under my hood for pictures... not to mention WIRES EVERYWHERE :D

aguilar_15 09-14-2011 07:53 PM

LMAO :c:

Diesel Drivin Gal 09-15-2011 08:20 PM

Well I havent reset the apps yet, hubby came home fired it up and decided he was either gonna get it to set a code or finish off whatever was causin the problem. HE held it to the floor would only rev to 2100 Rpm spitting and sputtering cutting out. Then it finally quit coughing and revved on up to about 3200, he let off revved again several times and it has been right ever since. Idk what the heck it was lol. Thank you all for all your input. He is still gonna reset the apps just to make sure.:tu:

turbo20psi 09-15-2011 08:26 PM

APPS AFTERMARKET APPS THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR ('98.5-'02)-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage

If that is the problem here is the fix and you don't have to take it to the Stealership.

Maybe it got :scare2::scare2::scare2::scare2:

mysterync 09-15-2011 08:28 PM

Re: cutting out/bucking

What about the apps ground?

CSpann 11-22-2022 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by turbo20psi (Post 798661)
Testing

1.Ensure ignition is off. Disconnect APPS connector. APPS is located on bracket, just above fuel injection pump. Start engine and allow engine to idle. Using DVOM, measure voltage at terminal No. 5 (Dark Blue/White wire) on APPS connector. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, go to step 3 .
2.Shut engine off. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DVOM, measure voltage at terminal No. 5 (Dark Blue/White wire) on APPS connector again. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, repair short to voltage on Dark Blue/White wire between APPS and ECM when ignition is on. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, repair short to voltage on Dark Blue/White wire between APPS and ECM when engine is running.
3.Shut engine off. Ensure ignition is off and APPS connector is still disconnected. Using DVOM, measure resistance between ground and terminal No. 4 (Black/Yellow wire) on APPS connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace APPS.
4.Start engine and allow engine to idle. Shut engine off. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DVOM, measure voltage at terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) on APPS connector. If voltage is 4.5 volts or less, go to next step. If voltage is more than 4.5 volts, repair short to voltage on Light Green/Dark Blue wire between APPS and ECM. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector.
5.Turn ignition off. Disconnect ECM connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Using DVOM, measure resistance between terminal No. 4 (Black/Yellow wire) on APPS connector and terminal No. 32 (Black/Yellow wire) on ECM connector. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, repair open in Black/Yellow wire between APPS and ECM. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, replace ECM.

Number 3 is important.

On step 3. I’ve got .67 resistance, but I just replaced the Apps. How can I be sure the sensor is bad when the connector I’m checking isn’t plugged into it?

Coal_Too_3500 11-23-2022 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by CSpann (Post 1213187)
On step 3. I’ve got .67 resistance, but I just replaced the Apps. How can I be sure the sensor is bad when the connector I’m checking isn’t plugged into it?

assuming that you tested the correct circuit the fact that there is only .67 ohme (on what I’m assuming is not a zeroed meter) means that the apps is confirmed bad. I have had bad luck with some apps sensors just not working right out of the box I had to purchase a standard ignition apps for my truck as 3 of another brand (if I remember correctly BWD) just didn’t work.