Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Best mods to start with (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/81727-best-mods-start.html)

Chinuck 08-23-2011 07:05 PM

Best mods to start with

Hello just bought my 01 2500 cummins bout a week ago and been looking at mods just wanted to know yalls opinion on best things to start with I use it as my everyday driver and throw a trailer behind it with quads and/ or a jeep almost a few times a month any imput will help

turbo20psi 08-23-2011 07:31 PM

To start would be some gauges and a good lift pump Airdog or FASS. The gauges you can kill to birds with one stone and do a edge juice with attitude or a Adrenaline.

NOTE: for the best prices you can do a price quote on the site.

Chinuck 08-23-2011 07:33 PM

Thanks a set of gauges were on the top of the list and do you recommend the pyrometer installed pre or post turbo

turbo20psi 08-23-2011 07:45 PM

Before turbo cylinders 4,5,6 are the hottest. Drill the back of the manifold close to the firewall to install the pyrometer.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

A fuel pressure gauge is a must on these trucks anything below 10 psi at the VP44 (injection pump) could kill it in time.

VP44 = 1,000 bucks

Chinuck 08-23-2011 09:48 PM

So do recommend having someone at a shop drill into the manifold or is it
Something that can be done

RAW 08-23-2011 09:56 PM

Someone, almost anyone, can do it.

Fuel pump is #1 in my opinion. Then Exhaust and intake. When you add more fuel, add the gauges.

Cutterw 08-23-2011 09:57 PM

Let it cool and take your time and clean up the shavings before starting truck.

I let truck set 30 minutes after 3 mile drive. Drilled hole and tapped very slowly because I kept greasing and cleaning bit/tap. I made a hose to adapt to shop vac and pressed it to hole after drill and after tap. I started truck for few seconds then installed Pyro. I'm sure there is a better way but it'll be just as time consuming I'm sure.

RAW 08-23-2011 10:01 PM

I've never done it, but like this idea: Run the truck while you drill. Ya it's hot, and noisy, but the exhaust pressure will blow out all the shavings.

lunk 08-23-2011 10:06 PM

drill and tap it while it is running it blows all shavings out

oudive 08-24-2011 07:57 AM

Chinuck

Congrats on your truck and welcome to Diesel Bombers. Chances are you will and have already heard that an aftermarket lift pump and some gauges are a must. If the IP craps out due to low fuel pressure, there goes 1k bones that you could have used for something else. Then from there the sky is the limit. There is alot of information as to different things we have tried with different goals in mind. I would suggest that prior to doing things such as injectors and injectors, have an idea as to your own goals that you want to achieve with your truck. Hope this helps a little, most important have fun.

oudive