Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Weird Fuel Pressure???? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/78345-weird-fuel-pressure.html)

Dk Dodge 06-19-2011 12:14 PM

Weird Fuel Pressure????

So this might be the second time this has happened, but I'll notice that my fuel pressure gauge is reading like 10 to 11 psi's while I'm cruising at a normal speed, if I put my foot in it it will drop down to 7. I typically run around 16 to 18 psi. Why would it change, and then fix itself?
:humm:

ablackburn 06-21-2011 05:58 PM

Do you have a stock Lift Pump in the truck or aftermarket? The stock lift pumps are pretty much garbage and tend to go out a lot. If its stock I would recommend changing it. Air Dog is a good way to go, I recently put one in my truck myself and it went in very easily.

Dk Dodge 06-21-2011 06:50 PM

It's an air dog. I have noticed from day one that the pressure changes the whole time you drive, even just sitting there idling. I figured that was normal....

zeismaster 06-21-2011 06:57 PM

Weird Fuel Pressure????

Ya stock lift pumps are junk especially if your truck is tuned all your doing is wasting time before your injection pump goes out. If it's not tuned I would still put an airdog on. I have had an airdog on mine for about 2 years and even with all the performance the absolute lowest I have ever seen is 14 and that's when im hard as I can be on it

zeismaster 06-21-2011 07:28 PM

Weird Fuel Pressure????

Try changing the filters on the airdog... Maybe bad gauge???

kingbrad89 06-21-2011 08:06 PM

Weird Fuel Pressure????

Which airdog? How old is it? Typically an airdog system when working correctly shouldn't drop to 7 psi. Where is your fuel pressure gauge reading from and is it a manual or digital gauge?

Dk Dodge 06-22-2011 10:03 AM

Its an FP-150 that I bought in May one year ago. The gauge is tied in right in front of the injector pump, and I'm pretty sure its a manual Isspro gauge.

kingbrad89 06-22-2011 03:58 PM

Weird Fuel Pressure????

Do you ever have starting issues?

Dk Dodge 06-22-2011 04:46 PM

Nope, seems to fire up easily, I'm on my way to the store for a new fuel filter. See if that cures the problem....

oudive 06-22-2011 09:30 PM

Hey,

Not sure how old an AD unit it is, but at one time in an older manual it stated that there is a fscreen that can get clogged up over time. I found an old manual online once and compared it to my manual. Mine mentioned nothing of the sort. So I removed the filters and looked but I could not see where there was a screen. I think it is on the WS side and held in place by a nut. You could check into that maybe if the new filter does not solve the issue. I am sure you could find that manual online pretty easy too.

oudive