Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   47RE troubles (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/76735-47re-troubles.html)

Drumman 05-19-2011 02:22 AM

47RE troubles

Hello everyone, yes iv got some questions about my 47re, what else is new haha. I have searched the forums in some hope but every thread i read does not match up to my problem. I got my 2001 auto cummins about a year and a half ago, runs awesome except for when the trans shifts from 2nd to 3rd. it takes awhile to shift like it doesnt know where 3rd is but after it gets threw that point the rest of the shifts are flawless. it does not and has never had the problem in any other gears just 2nd to 3rd shift. nor has the problem changed in over a year and a half, still the same shift pattern. today i did a tranny flush, replaced the filter and adjusted both the bands to manufacture specs. the old tranny fluid smelled and looked great no burning smell from clutch packs, fluid was still a nice florescent red and the magnet on the bottom of the pan was perfectly clean. so my thoughts are that it would maybe be the valve body. i wanted to see what you guys had anything to suggest before i think about throwing a new valve body on it. thanks for reading

dukeboy_318 05-19-2011 04:48 AM

when i had my auto, it drove the same way, 2nd- 3rd seemed to take forever. Never found any metal or anything either, may just be the way the trans is set up. A valve body upgrad probably will improve it by increasing the fluid pressure but I ditched the auto truck so I honestly am not too sure on how to improve it

Drumman 05-19-2011 11:12 AM

well at least there is someone out there with the same problem. anyone i have talked to always get confused when i talk about my tranny ha. This problem has to be pretty rare unless everyone who has it just goes ahead with a new tranny.

KillStroker 05-19-2011 01:39 PM

I think its the stock valve body and not so much a problem. My Auto stutters in 2nd-to 3rd.

901stgen 05-21-2011 03:04 PM

Buy a good valve body Brent. :rocking:

Drumman 05-21-2011 09:28 PM

that i did sir. ordered a suncoast valve body yesturday
Sun Coast Performance Valve Body
will post results about how it runs

Diesel Dawgs Performance 05-22-2011 12:55 AM

You will also need to upgrade your Torque Converter.

Luke

Drumman 05-29-2011 02:46 PM

ok got the suncoast valve body in with no troubles except for people needing my help with things dragging me away from the project. anyways it shifts hard and fast like i wanted it to with all the gears except for 2nd to 3rd still so im kinda disapointed about that but at least i have a nice valve body with a shift kit lol, so now i am stumped about what it could be. i did only have the inner spring on my accumulator piston but i was reading up on that here and read that most trannys didnt come with them or that someone might have taken it out for harder shifts. so if anyone has some suggestions please share them thanks.