Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   BOOM...BOOM...Rattle....... (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/75739-boom-boom-rattle.html)

HERITAGEROAD 05-02-2011 12:20 PM

BOOM...BOOM...Rattle.......

HELP ME 5.9l 24v Mfg. 09-14-02 Dodge started her up to high rpm's without fuel pedal depressed and a highpower rifle sound from the dog only to hear a boom boom in concert with a constant rattle sound. Found the plastic piece on rocker arm assembley broke and a bent push rod in cylinder position 3. Trying to find a barring tool to get Top Dead Center to get proper clearance when replacing rocker and push rod at exaust rocker. (.10 clearance) Is this all that needs to be fixed? Sounds awfully loud like there is more going on,further internal perhaps. only working on truck till fixed, then I can work for a check again TY any thoughts seriously considered HERITAGEROAD NEED TO WORK.

banditsdiesel 05-02-2011 05:26 PM

well push rods dont just bend for the heck of it. something went wrong to do it. and exhaust clearance is .020 the intake is .010. and unless you have some really weird engine setup there is nothing plastic on the rockers or top of the motor for that matter. everything on the valve train is steel. and for it to rev to high rpms something in either the ip or injectors. its had to have loaded with fuel or something to that nature to run away like that. and to bend a push rod and break a rocker most likely the piston has hit the valves. you probably want to pull the head at the least.

GuyWithA24Valve 05-02-2011 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel (Post 748280)
well push rods dont just bend for the heck of it. something went wrong to do it. and exhaust clearance is .020 the intake is .010. and unless you have some really weird engine setup there is nothing plastic on the rockers or top of the motor for that matter. everything on the valve train is steel. and for it to rev to high rpms something in either the ip or injectors. its had to have loaded with fuel or something to that nature to run away like that. and to bend a push rod and break a rocker most likely the piston has hit the valves. you probably want to pull the head at the least.

I second that. At least pull the head. I'd probably have the motor out of there and on an engine stand if it was my truck.

dukeboy_318 05-02-2011 11:05 PM

sounds like maybe your APPS sensor fried itself at WOT and when you started it, you broke something. wont help figure out the mechanical side, but just out of sheer curiosity, any codes? thinking that something had to have fried to run away like that

HERITAGEROAD 05-03-2011 08:24 AM

cam shaft pos. sen.

2 weeks before got a cam shaft position sensor reading. (P0341) Didn't think much of it then. haven't replaced it yet.