Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Fuel Problem (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/71759-fuel-problem.html)

new24valver 03-05-2011 06:51 PM

Fuel Problem

So I was driving down the road the other day and went to stop at a red light and then i was just idling foreword and put my foot back on the brake and then it just died.....I put more fuel in it purged the air out of the lines and in the pump and in the fuel filter canister the lift pump is getting fuel to the filter and to the injection pump but when i was purging the air out of the pump it had a really weak stream whenever I had my help cycle the key and bump the starter for the fuel to run through the pump. so i know it is getting fuel through the pump and to the lines becuase i cracked the #1 injection line and it had fuel come out of it but once again a weak stream.........Ive horsed around with it for 4 days trying everything i could think of and it still is getting fuel and still wont start.....any suggestions would help thanks....

Red_Rattler 03-05-2011 07:16 PM

Check engine light? Crack a couple more lines and keep cranking. Or last/worse case senerio, lil snort of ether

new24valver 03-05-2011 07:43 PM

no check engine light or anything it just shut down it didnt sputter or anythinglike it ran out of fuel or anything either thats what i dont understand.........someone told me about the transfer pump I didnt know but i guess that sounds about right.

Red_Rattler 03-05-2011 07:55 PM

def put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the pump is pushing to the pump. But the truck would run without the lift pump either way

Red_Rattler 03-05-2011 07:57 PM

The truck will run without a lift pump, which is what causes issues with the injector pumps burning up... If your getting fuel to the injection lines it shoould run

new24valver 03-05-2011 09:06 PM

yeah it should run but Its a very very very weak stream of fuel I am wondering if it cant build up enough pressure to pop the injectors for the fuel to get to the motor.....I dont have a fuel pressure gauge but I also dont want to go buy a bunch of parts and shit thats not the problem...thanks for all your help in advance

derekk872003 03-06-2011 02:51 PM

I would crack a line before the injection pump just to be sure your getting adequate pressure before i did anything else. The truck will run without a transfer pump, but i dont see it priming very well that way.

new24valver 03-06-2011 03:49 PM

I did that also just about 2 hours ago and the pressure going into the pump i bet its not even 5 psi so I guess I am going to have to invest in a transfer pump becuase the fuel running out of the line before the injection pump was just barely running out. I dont think it has enough pressure and no matter how many times you crank it doesnt get any stronger. I just dont think it has enough pressure to prime the fuel system but I am still open to any sugestions on things to try I guess I am going to buy a transfer pump and change it and see what that does if it starts ill be sure to let everyone know that has helped me.