Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   0216 Fuel Injection pump Timing Malfunction (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/68642-0216-fuel-injection-pump-timing-malfunction.html)

whappy4 01-23-2011 09:27 PM

truck was done Friday night. Started running bad Saturday. left the sensors in the head.
I didn't remove the pump. Neither code was popping up untill the head gasket was changed.
He bought a Fel-Pro gasket kit.

banditsdiesel 01-24-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe6 (Post 694561)
isn't 216 the notorious vp death code?? Did you remove the pump when you swapped gaskets?? Did you remember to put the keyway back in the pump shaft?? Idk.. just spitballin

p 0216 is a pump timing malfunction code, and doesnt mean the pump is dead. could jusr mean something simple. i would have to say map sensor on that one though. 0234 is controlled by the map, and if the map glitches it can cause havoc on codes and throw others that have nothing to do with it. cummins has to know boost to know how to fuel if it doesnt know how to fuel it will throw a fueling malfunction code.

DieselWeasel 01-24-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel (Post 695204)
p 0216 is a pump timing malfunction code, and doesnt mean the pump is dead. could jusr mean something simple. i would have to say map sensor on that one though. 0234 is controlled by the map, and if the map glitches it can cause havoc on codes and throw others that have nothing to do with it. cummins has to know boost to know how to fuel if it doesnt know how to fuel it will throw a fueling malfunction code.

:U:

Thats what i thought too!

whappy4 01-24-2011 08:54 PM

So, any suggestions? Maybe a bad battery? he said one is from 06, the other from 07. He tried starting the truck tonight. Ran rough and stalled out. The sensor was left in the head and had it resurfaced. Could it be possible it was damaged then and that's throwing codes?
Thank you both for giving me hope it's something simple. The poor guy has already dumped 4-5K in this thing from different problems.
I'm going over tommorrow to take batteries out and get them tested.

banditsdiesel 01-24-2011 10:24 PM

you always take the sensors out before they got to the shop for any work.:argh: it should just be as simple as the map sensor, but mix matched batts are a bad thing too. but it wont cause it to run rough or stall unless the alternator is bad too. a truck should run with no batts as long as the alt is good. test the batts and pick up a map sensor while your at the auto parts store and check. if it fixes it great if not put it back in the box and return it and say it wasnt it(right one) or something to that nature.:humm: if that doesnt work its time to back up and punt and try something new.:bat:

whappy4 01-25-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel (Post 695587)
you always take the sensors out before they got to the shop for any work.:argh: it should just be as simple as the map sensor, but mix matched batts are a bad thing too. but it wont cause it to run rough or stall unless the alternator is bad too. a truck should run with no batts as long as the alt is good. test the batts and pick up a map sensor while your at the auto parts store and check. if it fixes it great if not put it back in the box and return it and say it wasnt it(right one) or something to that nature.:humm: if that doesnt work its time to back up and punt and try something new.:bat:

Had the batteries tested. One was bad. I was told if one is bad the alt won't charge. Does that sound right? Could a bad MAP sensor throw the other 2 codes (0216, 0234) but not a code for the MAP sensor?
Thanks

banditsdiesel 01-25-2011 09:01 PM

it could cause the system to not charge properly. but your battery would have to be discharging to not work at all, or make the alt not charge. or so i would think. but ya i would think that the map could do that. my cam sensor went out and shut down the gauge cluster. threw codes for the map, oil psi, iat, and coolant but not the cam sensor. so it very well could be projecting its problems else where. if one batt was bad change it or leave it off and clear the codes and see what happens. the truck will start on one batt just dont make a habit of it.

caylebk 01-27-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel (Post 695204)

my truck threw this code and a few other nonsense codes is there a way to fix it? going to autozone to get all the codes later. the reader i used wasnt very new and said my truck was a wrong year