Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   help with long start (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/65217-help-long-start.html)

boernecummins 12-19-2010 12:27 AM

help with long start

i have a 2001 5.9 cummins and it has a problem when the motor is cold i takes a few seconds to start. the fuel pressure guage reads about 15psi when its idleing and when you have it gased it fluctuates between 15 and 30 it has a quadzilla xzillerator and a BD diesel lift pump relocator. i have replaced the batt and the alternator and starter. if you have any idea whats wrong can you please help me.

Rustin 12-19-2010 01:28 AM

Are you allowing the the intake air to heat up befor you start?

H.R.D 12-19-2010 02:23 AM

Any time you start your pickup you need to let the "WAIT TO START" light go off then crank it. If you are doing this and still having trouble your grid heater could be shot. If that's not the problem make sure you check all your fuel lines for wet spots indicating a leak. Try plugging it in at night or put it on a timer for a few hours before you plan on starting it.

boernecummins 12-19-2010 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by H.R.D (Post 670517)
Any time you start your pickup you need to let the "WAIT TO START" light go off then crank it. If you are doing this and still having trouble your grid heater could be shot. If that's not the problem make sure you check all your fuel lines for wet spots indicating a leak. Try plugging it in at night or put it on a timer for a few hours before you plan on starting it.

i always let the light turn off before i start it i havent tried to plug it in yet cause it never gets below 50 degrees where i live so its not that cold. it has a small amount of diesel under the third injector but it was doing it before i found the leak im in the process of fixing the leak.

Rustin 12-20-2010 01:34 AM

Whats you exhaust smoke look like after it starts? Do you have any smoke when it starts?

boernecummins 12-20-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rustin (Post 671023)
Whats you exhaust smoke look like after it starts? Do you have any smoke when it starts?

Yeah it is like a grey color when I start it

Rustin 12-20-2010 12:00 PM

Ok, your geting fuel. you might be burning some oil. How many miles? and have you disconected the Quadzila to see if it runs normal? Some thing easy to do When you first start it, get a Lazer temp gun and have some body start your truck. Point the temp gun at the exhaust manifold and see if you have a(ny) cylinder(s) that are cold. The one(s) that are slow to warm up you might want to do a compresson check.

72fj 12-21-2010 06:57 PM

long start!!!

check the return banjo fitting at back of cylinder head,just a slight wetness around fitting will cause bleed down in fuel rifle and cause hard start after sitting over night.
been there done that!!!