Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   hesitating 2002 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/62289-hesitating-2002-a.html)

Natedawg! 11-04-2010 06:19 PM

hesitating 2002

i just bought a 2002 dodge ram.... it has been running flawless untill about a week ago.... ive noticed when im driving it likes to hesitate and then rev up all while my foot is in the same postion on the gas.... ive also noticed that when im not driving but just idling and the a/c or defrost is on the rpms will fluxuate 50-150 rpms constantly not just bogging from the compressor.... and once the compressor is off it idles normal.... if someone knows anything that would be great thanks... -nate

prison 11-04-2010 06:39 PM

look at your tank. does it have some oily residue on it? i'm pretty sure my front tank has a hole in it and it does the same thing

mishkaya 11-04-2010 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Natedawg! (Post 647469)
i just bought a 2002 dodge ram.... it has been running flawless untill about a week ago.... ive noticed when im driving it likes to hesitate and then rev up all while my foot is in the same postion on the gas.... ive also noticed that when im not driving but just idling and the a/c or defrost is on the rpms will fluxuate 50-150 rpms constantly not just bogging from the compressor.... and once the compressor is off it idles normal.... if someone knows anything that would be great thanks... -nate

You have an '02: have you checked for codes in the odometer window yet? If not, that should be your first step. The first issue could be one of several things:
A bad APPS, which can be replaced with an aftermarket one for not too much money
A failing VP44 which is not cheap.
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on this truck? If not that should be your top priority. Lack of fuel pressure is usually what kills injection pumps.

Natedawg! 11-04-2010 11:42 PM

it doesnt have a fuel pressure gauge.... i want to have one installed... it also seems like stage 4 has more power then stage 5 on my edge tuner..... i never run it on stage 5 let alone stage 4 even while pulling heavy trailers

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

no codes have shown up yet.... if the pump is going out will it throw a code or eventually just give up?

mishkaya 11-05-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Natedawg! (Post 647635)

no codes have shown up yet.... if the pump is going out will it throw a code or eventually just give up?

They are notorious for failing without ever setting a code I am afraid... :ouch:

biged681985 11-05-2010 08:21 AM

if u have a stock lift pumpand running a comp box, theres ur second biggest mistake, right after not having a fuel press. gauge. get a fuel pressure gauge, turn the edge down, and start saving for a new lift pump.

now on to ur problem, it sounds like an apps is out of adjust ment. u might try resetting it

scottywiest 11-05-2010 02:53 PM

im sorry to say it but im thinkin his pump is diein bc i have an adren with pulse and ran it on 3 and fried my vp44, now with airdog 165 i can run 10 all day long and not drop under 10psi, but the vp44 has a companion code i believe its the 2065?? dont quote me but it wont show up as a mil light, if ya take it to autozone or advanced they can pull the codes that havent set the check engine light!! ps. my vp died and didnt show a light

biged681985 11-06-2010 01:48 AM

most the time a vp wont throw a code when it first starts to mess up