Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   No start, no start. Ok, it started. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/58274-no-start-no-start-ok-started.html)

Nitelord 09-08-2010 01:48 PM

No start, no start. Ok, it started.

Within the last two weeks, my truck has started giving my some attitude.

I go out and jump in. (doesn't matter what time or even if it's already warm.)

Turn the key, nothing, but a relay click. turn it off, turn it on, - nothing but a click.

7th time, she starts. I go to work, gas station, Wawa, where ever. Shut it off, go to leave and I get the same stubborn attitude. Sometimes it takes 3 taps from the key. Maybe 7. As many as 14, once.

Any ideas as to where to start? I was under the impression, if it was the starter, she would be dead always. Yes or no...

Thanks in advance! :c:

wildbill 09-08-2010 02:56 PM

Not necessarily. Have you tried cleaning all the terminals, load testing the batteries, having the alternator checked out??

Nitelord 09-08-2010 02:58 PM

I cleaned the battery terminals and checked the grounds I could find. Two new batteries as of November 2009. I have not checked the alternator. Will do that tonight if I get home before dark. :jump: thx.

wildbill 09-08-2010 03:05 PM

Parts stored can do the test for free. If all checks out, then go ahead and remove the starter and have it tested.

24vcumminscowboy 09-08-2010 03:21 PM

i bet its ur starter contacts google larry b's starter contacts

diesel pap 09-08-2010 04:06 PM

starter contacts. one of them will be wore down.

Nitelord 09-08-2010 04:25 PM

I really like the Larry B's. I may just get the new starter and super contacts. Just do the whole thing and be done. I'll see what the parts store says.

My mechanic had a death in the family and is out the rest of a week and some days.
Thanks again. Any more suggestions, I'm all ears. I'll get the alt. and starter checked out in the next couple of days. :c::c::c:

PLMCRZY 09-08-2010 04:50 PM

Ill put my money on your starter i had the same problem. I just replaced the whole starter for $150 but i got a lifetime warrenty on it :)

mishkaya 09-08-2010 05:29 PM

If you still have the OEM starter, keep it and do the starter contacts from Larry B. I doubt anything else is wrong with your starter, but you might end up with endless headaches with a reman (forget the price of a new one). My .02 :c:
It's a job you can relatively easily do yourself. All you need is a 12 point 10mm wrench (or whatever size it is) and a lot of strength. There are only three bolts holding it in... :w2:
I have done the starter contact swap on four trucks already and can usually get the whole R&R thing done in less than an hour.

moparious maximus 09-09-2010 12:37 PM

Contacts in the starter for sure.

You can replace them for dirt cheap or even upgrade to better ones.

I bet its only one contact, the one on the battery side it always dies first, the plunger ring thing and the starter lead contact usually look good.