Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   How do you like your Sport headlights? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/57593-how-do-you-like-your-sport-headlights.html)

B&W Ram 08-28-2010 08:28 AM

How do you like your Sport headlights?

I'd like to hear from those 2nd generation ISB owners who got sick enough of their dim non-Sport headlights to go through the process of "upgrading" to Sport model (dual-lamp) headlight assemblies.

I don't know exactly how it happened, but the passenger-side headlight housing on my truck began to collect moisture a while back and, consequently, replacement lamps are fragged in short order. As I'm driving around with only one headlight, at the moment, I'm seriously considering a change to the '99-'01 RAM Sport model headlight assemblies (with their superior dual-lamp design).

I've priced new assemblies from our local dealer, and that was not a rewarding phone call at $265.00 US per assembly (turn signal housings and tax not included). This being the case, I'm considering tracking down some decent used housings from one of the big scrap yards. I'm aware, by the way, that the wiring harness will also have to be modified and/or replaced to accomplish this modification.

If anyone has gone through this process, I'd love to read about your experience. If, like me, you're in the process of doing the research, I'd love to read about what you've learned thus far.

Thanks for your time.
B&W :c:

rednekroper05 08-28-2010 09:23 AM

good luck hunting them in the scrapyards i havent found any to rplace my stock stock sport lights. you best bet will be getting a pair of ebay.

RAW 08-28-2010 10:03 AM

I had a headlight collect water as well once. Kept burning out bulbs. I found there is a small hole on the very top of the headlight housing that is covered by a black patch, about the size of a nickel. It was loose allowing water to drip in. I glues the little patch back down and problem solved.

I don't think the process of upgrading the headlights is complicated, just costly. Not only are the assemblys required, but another harness to work with the extra bulb.

B&W Ram 08-29-2010 10:16 AM

Scrap yards and a wiring harness

rednekroper: I've found a pair of '01 sport headlight assemblies, complete with turn signal housings, in a yard north of us. The guy I spoke to tells me that the truck they came out of was low mileage, but I guess we'll have to see how that actually works out.

RAWilliams: As I've been very busy lately, I haven't actually gotten into finding the exact cause of the leak. The moisture itself, however, is clearly evident when looking into the front of the headlight housing. I'll take a look at the hole you mentioned, though. Yes, there's an automotive headlight consultant out there who sells the non-sport to sport conversion wiring harness. The guy comes highly recommended, so that part I'm pretty comfortable with.

Have a good one,
B&W :tu:

mishkaya 08-29-2010 10:43 AM

I did the sport conversion on my '01 about two years ago. Got the headlights off of ebay, about $175 for the pair as I recall, and used the SUVLights wiring harness, which was about $125 at the time. Could not be happier with the results. The difference is simply amazing, and even most who have done the HID conversion think that my headlights light up the road better than theirs. I liked it so much, I ended up doing the conversion on my '02 as well. A shame there is no such a kit for the 3rd gens...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I guess I should add in case you don't know, that the SUVLights harness illuminates all four bulbs both in high and low beam mode. HUGE difference! :c:

B&W Ram 08-29-2010 10:46 AM

Sport conversion

mishkaya: Are the eBay sport assemblies you mentioned OEM parts? Are they a one-piece unit or a two-piece, like the factory intended?

I haven't done much research on them, but I understand that there are a lot of aftermarket sport assemblies out there.

tworks 08-29-2010 10:50 AM

Question...Do the sport lights actually bolt right in. Is it just the wiring that needs to be modified. I was looking at doing it but was unsure of the MODIFICATION REQUIRED.
Thanks

mishkaya 08-29-2010 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by B&W Ram (Post 612839)
mishkaya: Are the eBay sport assemblies you mentioned OEM parts? Are they a one-piece unit or a two-piece, like the factory intended?

I haven't done much research on them, but I understand that there are a lot of aftermarket sport assemblies out there.

The ones I purchased were supposedly OEM, but made in Taiwan or something. They were the two piece, just like factory, and after a little over two years, there is still no fading, hazing or moisture inside, so I am satisfied with them. I was careful to purchase my second set from the same vendor however...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by tworks (Post 612843)
Question...Do the sport lights actually bolt right in. Is it just the wiring that needs to be modified. I was looking at doing it but was unsure of the MODIFICATION REQUIRED.
Thanks

They bolt right in, you just need to modify the harness for the extra bulbs. There are many how-to's for this online. Since I purchased the premade harness, the swap probably would have been less than 30mn if it weren't for the fact that I had to remove my aftermarket bumper to remove the headlights... :argh:
With a stock bumper you will not have this problem! :tu:
I did forget to mention that if your truck is prior to '98, you will need to cut some sheet metal behind the headlight assemblies to make them fit, but there are plenty of how-to's for that as well; and of course it won't show once you are done.

B&W Ram 08-29-2010 11:29 AM

Any photos

It's a long shot, but I was wondering if you have any photos of your headlights in action, mishkaya? I'd also be interested in seeing the front end of your truck as well (in daylight hours).

Thanks for your time,
B&W

mishkaya 08-29-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by B&W Ram (Post 612857)
It's a long shot, but I was wondering if you have any photos of your headlights in action, mishkaya? I'd also be interested in seeing the front end of your truck as well (in daylight hours).

Thanks for your time,
B&W

I'll go take a pic of the '02 that is currently sitting in the drive, as the '01 is at the shop getting ball joints etc...
I don't have any night time pics, but there have been plenty posted showing the difference between the stock headlights and the sport assemblies running the SUV harness. And I should add that the pics don't do the headlights any justice as the difference is much greater than the pics would allow you to believe IMO.