Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Cruise control question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/53791-cruise-control-question.html)

jslash 07-04-2010 07:31 PM

Cruise control question

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking here for quite a while. Nice site!

I've been having trouble with my cruise control. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it will work and while I'm crusing along it will just shut off and not work.

Any ideas where to start looking??

TIA!

Jim

--
'99 RAM Cummins, XLT, Quad Cab, Automatic, 219,000 miles

MPfireman 07-05-2010 03:11 PM

If you look under your battery box, drivers side, there is a small plastic tube that is part of your cruse control. This tube might have a crack in it thus you will lose the vacume that operates your cruse controller. I know mine was broken, I just replaced the broken ends with a larger tube that the smaller ones fit into. Has worked now for the past 3 years.

Koonta 07-05-2010 04:13 PM

Same here, cracked vacuum line under battery box

crazycooter 07-05-2010 07:12 PM

that would make the most sense, being the cruise is run directly from the pcm. the other issue you could have maybe a worn clockspring or switches...

jslash 07-05-2010 08:50 PM

Yeah, tell me more about this clockspring... Not that it "can't" be the vacuum line but it just doesn't seem right. Sometimes the cruise works fine. Other times it cuts out at freeway speeds after working for an hour or so. Just like you hit the cancel button. I would think a vacuum leak would be constant failure. Also, the "cruise" light on the dash hasn't worked for a year or so even though the cruise does (sometimes). So, multiple problems here and I'm not sure if any of them are related. :humm:

Captn_tyler 07-06-2010 03:17 PM

I found on mine, it was doin the same, the plug on back the buttons on the wheel were loose and a little gunk in there. Try that first was a quick 10min deal. Follow the disconnet batteries first rule thou, I hear an air bag can be a mean sob if is goes off

kerley 08-04-2010 12:36 PM

cruise control not working

Everything on the wheel and dash seems to be ok, but the cruise control does'nt work. Other posts say check the vacuum line under the drivers side battrey box. I will investigate that. If that vacuume line is okay, what would be the next step in solving this problem

big wally 08-06-2010 12:13 AM

clock spring

I have a couple extra clock springs, if that is what you need.
Let me know.
Thanks.

freak-n-diesels 08-07-2010 08:28 PM

yeah, my cruise hasn't worked in awhile, the chiltons manual said that my '02 was controled by the pcm and their is no vac lines so i stopped messing with it for now. going to check the switches on the wheel and the lines that go through the steering column, because i have tilt, one time dodge had a TSB on that, right at the bottom where the column bends, you have wire connections and it is tight, when you tilt the wheel they come loose. One time i lost all power to the gauges on the dash and had found that some of the wires had pulled out enough to loose power.

tworks 08-08-2010 11:26 PM

check wiring to rear diff mounted speed snsr