Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Cracked Head!! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/51092-cracked-head.html)

skinnercummins01 05-19-2010 05:47 PM

Cracked Head!!

Hi everyone! this is my first post...so I have a 2001 cummins and I noticed it blowing white smoke a couple days ago so i took the head off and had it checked out and it is cracked in over 20 places. The truck has stage 4 injectors, edge chip, intake, and exhaust. When I took the head off i noticed one of the head bolts was cracked off and the valves were a little loose. I am wondering what i have to do to stop this from happening again after I put a new head on. arp heat studs and a ringed head gasket? or is my best beat to go with less power?

Thanks, Ricky

Billy D 05-19-2010 05:59 PM

:pca1:

cfarley0210 05-19-2010 06:09 PM

wow thats seroius damage!! i would do studs and o ring the head for sure. i would also check the block for scracks. the only reason that i would think the head would crack that much is because of it getting way too hot alot so i would also check out your complete cooling system to make sure its working correctly. if everything is done correctly that added power shouldnt do any damage. for that year truck there are two different block casting numbers and i know that one of them were notorious for cracking, so you might check into that also.

skinnercummins01 05-19-2010 06:12 PM

ok great thanks for the info!!!

crzycummins 05-19-2010 06:19 PM

x2:pca1:

turbo20psi 05-19-2010 09:32 PM

Cracking between the valves seem to be common on these trucks.Have to agree with 0210,but while the head is off I would do fire rings from FIRE RING HEAD GASKET KITS, 12 AND 24 VALVE CUMMINS ENGINES - Haisley Machine not to much more money and maybe the same in machining.Weather you are going to leave it stock (If you are on this site it is hard to do) or go all out you are covered.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

:welcome: to the site also...:hellox:

giant870 05-20-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by turbo20psi (Post 560026)
Cracking between the valves seem to be common on these trucks.Have to agree with 0210,but while the head is off I would do fire rings from FIRE RING HEAD GASKET KITS, 12 AND 24 VALVE CUMMINS ENGINES - Haisley Machine not to much more money and maybe the same in machining.Weather you are going to leave it stock (If you are on this site it is hard to do) or go all out you are covered.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

:welcome: to the site also...:hellox:

I had the same thing, cracks between the valves. A buddy of mine built a new engine so I tried buy his old head and same thing cracks between the valves.

I agree with turbo20psi. Go ahead and fire ring it. I talked with Craig at Big Power Diesel in Palmdale, CA and he talked me into fire ringing over o-ringing. Do a google search to find his number and give him a call. He has a wealth of knowalge on this. :tu:

inlinepwr 05-22-2010 04:37 PM

:pca1:

Lostnwalmart 05-22-2010 05:31 PM

make sure not to get on it until engine temp is up, romping on a cold engine is a baad idea