Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   My 01 Is Wacked Out (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/4899-my-01-wacked-out.html)

Whit 09-14-2007 07:56 AM

My 01 Is Wacked Out

Help me figger this thing out..........goin down the road the other day and my speedo went to 115 MPH :U: looks cool however something just aint right....has done it prolly 10 times now and it will stay ther for a few minuts then go back to normal........then last night I lost my RPM indication several times for just a few seconds........WTF

Johnny Cetane 09-14-2007 08:04 AM

well..... this is interesting and i don't know much about dodge ABS but here's what i figure.

i don't think it's the speed sensor. if it was your ABS would be acting up. probably engaging when it wasn't supposed to. i had an envoy with a bad VSS. you'd be going down the road and all of a sudden the speedo would drop and the abs would kick in.

i don't think it's the cranks sensor. shouldn't have anything to do with the speedo.

i think you're looking at a ground issue or something inside the the cluster. check your schematics and see if the speedo and tach share a ground or something that no other gauge does.

it's be nice if you could find somebody with the same truck and swap clusters for a day. :U:

Dr. Evil 09-14-2007 08:42 AM

Its the stacks - cut them down....:ha::ha:

I believe there is a test for the instrument cluster...I think you hold down the trip button when turning on the key and the cluster is supposed to do a self test.

Do you have the FSM downloaded?

Whit 09-14-2007 10:39 AM

Well I pulled the codes with my OBDII and found nothing............surprising

the speedo messing up could be related to my speed corection device.true speed calibrator as it is hooked in with the wheel speed sensor and the abs crap

now with the rpm going to zero and the motor stopping that could be the crank sensor OR the key switch maybe?

I dunno other than I am gonna go lift the hood and clean up all the sensor connectors I can find.....see what happens there I guess

Johnny Cetane 09-14-2007 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Whitmore (Post 55356)

now with the rpm going to zero and the motor stopping that could be the crank sensor OR the key switch maybe?

so the truck is dying now too??

Whit 09-14-2007 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Chimpo (Post 55357)
so the truck is dying now too??

a few times and only for a few seconds

DazedandConfused 09-14-2007 02:51 PM

Usually when the speedo starts acting up like that it has to do with the tone ring. Hopefully that aint the case.

DB Admin 09-14-2007 02:55 PM

Are you Sure your Rear Tires are not leaving the Ground ?

:dm:

DB Admin 09-14-2007 02:56 PM

Whit, I would Say Contact Bob Wagner and Land Your Self a Spare ECM Yours may be getting ready to puke

DM

Whit 09-14-2007 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DieselMinded (Post 55413)
Whit, I would Say Contact Bob Wagner and Land Your Self a Spare ECM Yours may be getting ready to puke

DM

I really dont wanna here that but it does sound fun though