Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   whump in rearend when letting out clutch on right hand turns. What is it?? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/43233-whump-rearend-when-letting-out-clutch-right-hand-turns-what.html)

AndyMan 02-12-2010 09:23 AM

whump in rearend when letting out clutch on right hand turns. What is it??

Hey fella's...

SO.. here lately, I've developed this "whump" sound and what feels like a little slack that gets taken up and makes the truck jerk just slightly. This happens almost always when I'm going around a right hand slow turn (like turning a corner from one street to another) and let the clutch out after downshifting. Sounds and feels like it's coming from the rear end.

a little over a year ago, I pulled the chunk to rebuild the LS.... I had gotten the wrong kit (thanks ebay), so I hust stacked it back up and re-installed. At that time, the metal plates were pretty worn.... so I'm guessing that what's going on is that the LS is REALLY REALLY worn and slipping on turns? Or maybe it's worse... I dunno... what do you guys think?

I'm SUPPOSING that the u-joint, pinion, ring, and axle splines (as well as axles) are all okay... and that there's just something going on with the LS...

thoughts, comments, help is appreciated as always!
Andy

AndyMan 02-12-2010 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, this is it from when it was out last year... can someone identify as a trac-lok or a power-lok? I'm thinking TL...

Uncle Bubba 02-12-2010 12:05 PM

Sounds like you covered the most obvious with the U-Joints, other thing you may check that's easy is the rear wheel bearings. See if you have any play in the wheels are if the center hub is warm after a drive. That whole drive train is always the first thing I check, including the carrier bearing.

AndyMan 02-12-2010 01:21 PM

OOOOOOHHHHH Carrier bearing!!! that's a good call. Didn't even think about that one. I've got a rear pinion seal that I need to put in anyway.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Hey, I found a trac-lok for sale for a ford Dana 80, 35 spline, 4.10 carrier. That's exactly what I need except for the ford part... Will it fit???? I guess the worry would be the ring gear bolts.

mainman300 02-14-2010 10:09 PM

maby back lash adjustment from the pinion and ring gear. they make a shim kit that you can get the back lash right on.

AndyMan 02-15-2010 07:28 AM

Would backlash change over time? That's interesting, when I tear into it, I'll check that.

Gear Poet 02-15-2010 07:31 AM

One or two broken teeth will do that, too....

mainman300 02-15-2010 09:32 AM

wear on the teeth and bearings will change back lash for sure

blkjack 02-15-2010 09:48 AM

I am having the same Clunk as well I was also thinking the LS diff but dunno for sure havent gotten into it yet. :pca1:

diesel pap 02-15-2010 10:04 AM

i would pull the pan and check it out before something breaks.