Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Starting Problems (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/43172-starting-problems.html)

Fiveseven 02-11-2010 03:47 PM

Starting Problems

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys we are getting a little snow here in Dallas Tx i haven't turn my truck on in about three days this mourning I go to turn it on and all it did was like a small click and it wont turn on what could it be ,the battery I just replaced them in december .I connected the block warmer and left it for a while like 4 hrs and went to try to turn it on and it does nothing not even the click it made in the first try. Any clues ?

Dr. Evil 02-11-2010 05:01 PM

Likely the starter contacts.

It doesnt get cold enough in Texas to ever need the block heater.

dennhop 02-11-2010 05:02 PM

check either batteries or the starter....might be a loose connection on the batteries...

Dr. Evil 02-11-2010 05:03 PM

Yes, make sure there is no corrosion on the posts and clamps and you could maybe pull the batteries and have them load tested to make sure they are good.

Fiveseven 02-13-2010 06:57 PM

I took one of the battery out and replaced it with another one that is fairly new and it didn't work do you think maybe is the starter the only thing is that it seems rare that the starter had never acted up may the cold weather froze something inside the starter?

justinb12 02-13-2010 07:15 PM

Dr. Fiveseven I live in Willis just north of houston(bout 50 miles on I45) and i thought cuz it got 28 that i'd should plug my truck in. I am on a rig in greensburg PA. and i learn how cold it has to be before you need to plug it in. It was 12 the other night and i still started my single battery, lived in texas its whole life, big injectors 12 valve with no problems. Little white smoke and i was under way. Double check your connections and grounds

Dr. Evil 02-13-2010 07:40 PM

Its the starter contacts. My starter hasnt froze up at minus 40 how is yours going to be froze up at 15 degrees?

One battery (if its good) should be able to turn the engine over. Did you take your old batteries and have them load tested?

Fiveseven 02-13-2010 09:33 PM

Ok I am cleaning the starter contacts next ,I haven't had the batteries tested but I will tomorrow but first I want to check the contacts .

diesel pap 02-13-2010 09:38 PM

most of the time when its starter contacts you can keep clicking key and starter will finally work.

RAW 02-14-2010 09:27 AM

Just wondering how loud this "click" is. Loud like a starter solenoid, or like a relay or two clicking? Recently a buddy of mine had his security fuse constantly popping, and he couldn't start his truck. Ended up being a starter issue, replaced the started and all was fine. He also installed a starter wiring upgrade. It uses another relay so there is less draw on the original circuit. Could be what you need, not sure though.