Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Lift Pump (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/43120-lift-pump.html)

GuyWithA24Valve 02-10-2010 10:07 PM

Lift Pump

The lift pump in my 2001 cummins went out last fall. Took it to the local dealer and they said I could either god with the new factory set up or a replacement Allied Power pump. I went with the Allied pump, but I just have a feeling that this one is going to go out too. Any ideas on what to do if it goes out again? What did any of you guys do?

01cummins13 02-10-2010 11:56 PM

Air Dog, Fass, or Raptor. those are your safest bets my man. they will support any performance upgrades you do and keep your Vp44 happy!:c:

Dr. Evil 02-11-2010 12:08 AM

You did the right thing given those 2 options. The only dealer fix is the in tank pump and its junk.

Airdog or Fass are some of the best options.

You need to get a fuel pressure guage installed.

Gear Poet 02-11-2010 06:26 PM

My third stock lift pump went dead while I was pulling a trailer through eastern Montana. All the nearest parts store had was a Holly Red and a Holly Blue. Bought both, and in the parking lot of the motel, fabbed some mounts and installed the Red at the tank, and the Blue in the engine compartment, with a regulator just before the gauge splice. Thought I'd change out that fix whenever some better solution came along.

Later, I thought I'd get an Airdog or a Fass when the Holly pumps failed....

So here I am, six years later, over a hundred thousand miles, still waiting for those Holly pumps to fail. Still getting 20 psi at idle, and 16 psi at WOT....

Dr. Evil 02-11-2010 06:38 PM

Thats pretty amazing. Those pumps are for gas not diesel. They usually dont last anything like that.

Gear Poet 02-11-2010 06:56 PM

Ya, I know - to be honest, though, I cheated. At the time I installed them, everyone was experimenting with Holly Blacks - and the problem was that fuel would eat through the shaft o-ring and contaminate the motor. So I replaced the o-rings with similar ones from some injection pump, don't remember what, and voila!

But the Fass came out that summer, and everybody went nuts for it, so I never bothered to tell anyone....

Dr. Evil 02-11-2010 06:58 PM

Wow, thats a great tip !

The new o-rings were viton or n-buna?

Gear Poet 02-11-2010 07:06 PM

Wish I could tell you. It was an on-the-road fix in Miles City, Montana. I took the Holly o-rings down to an IH truck shop in that town and told them I needed to match them up to a set that could handle diesel fuel. They found a pair in a rebuild kit for an injection pump. Apparently a good pair.

Dr. Evil 02-11-2010 07:16 PM

Look what I found - heres the o-rings that are chemically compatable with diesel:

eFunda: O-Ring Materials Compatibile with Chemical Diesel Oil

Looks like Buna-n is the best choice.

Gear Poet 02-12-2010 07:31 AM

Nice find. Also interesting to find coffee-resistant materials on that list....