Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   NV4500 issues (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/42259-nv4500-issues.html)

tearin_it_up_everywhere 02-01-2010 08:07 PM

NV4500 issues

Hey guys as you can see in my sig what my truck is. I have changed my throw out bearing and my hd pilot bearing. So when ever i have my truck in 3,4,5 and roll into the throttle hard like getting into traffic i hear a squeal like a bearing. So has anyone ever had this happen or know what the fix is? Thanks ahead for any information.

chpmnsws6 02-01-2010 10:08 PM

No squeel in neutral with the clutch out? Have you ruled out the front/rear axles? Fluid level/condition check? Squeal= metal to metal, which = shavings typical

tearin_it_up_everywhere 02-01-2010 10:13 PM

just got done serviceing the rear axle new seals and everything
it sounds like a bearing squeal and it sounds like from the bell houseing area

chpmnsws6 02-02-2010 09:13 AM

The input shaft bearing would be the next suspect.

Sawman 02-02-2010 05:19 PM

what oil do you have in tranny?

tearin_it_up_everywhere 02-02-2010 07:48 PM

the factory type of 20 dollar a jug sh*t

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6 (Post 485028)
The input shaft bearing would be the next suspect.

I was afraid that someone would say that how big of a bitch is that?

chpmnsws6 02-02-2010 08:29 PM

After the transmission is out? a couple minutes between removing, inspecting, replacing, and measuring. Never rule out other problems before putting the transmission back in. Either pull the transmission apart yourself or have an expert look at it. With it apart, you can inspect the bearings, synchronizers, and 5th gear/mainshaft for wear. Let us know when you check the fluids...... all of them (front axle, rear axle, engine, transmission, transfer case). Even if it was just serviced, anything can happen :)

tearin_it_up_everywhere 02-03-2010 07:40 PM

I just check the rear changed out all the seals and checked the bearing, all is good. The front all the fluids are good and new bearing up front. The transfer case i just had redone not that long ago and added new fluid when it was out two weeks ago. The transmission i inspected and from the top cover and played with the input and out put shafts to check if the bearing were getting sloppy but they were not. I am debating on changing out the fluid again and adding a touch over the full side and see what i have. I will be pulling the pto covers on it to see what i have on the inside incase of something else.

well guys and gals i have the transmission side plates pulled off and the fluid came out pritty clear the magnet did not have but very little shavings on it. I lifted the rear of the truck up to finish draining the fluid. I am about to fill the trans up and see what she does on the way home tonight.

Jet A Fuel 02-03-2010 07:52 PM

Was it squealing before you changed the release bearing? Could it be a belt squealing?

tearin_it_up_everywhere 02-04-2010 11:24 AM

Not a belt sounded like a dry bearing.

ok so here is what i found. I pulled the side plates to inspect the gears and what not. Found very little metal in the box. So i sealed it up and pulled the fill plug. I filled it up until it started coming out the plug installed the plug and added about a half a quart extra. fixed it. Before i started i pulled the plug and it was just a touch low not a lot.
So when i drove it last night after i finished it worked great. No noise of any sort. Also i reblead my hyd clutch. Still getting air out of it after a week and a half. No i have a good feeling pedal.