Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Trans trouble. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/40613-trans-trouble.html)

bootsdodgejn 01-13-2010 01:40 AM

Trans trouble.

So i think i got a transmission problem. Lately i have been getting surges between the speed of 50-60mph. The surging is smooth if that makes sense. I can power thru those speeds and not feel it. But if i try to maintain a speed i start to get the surging. Just tonight iv been paying attention to when it exactly happens. It happens right about 50 when the tq locks up( i think) or shifts what ever one it is.
So i would like to see what you guys think could be the problem also how to fix it.

RAW 01-13-2010 07:45 AM

Could be possible the TC is locking and unlocking? RPM staying constant, or changing with the surging? Here is a link from Sun Coast about a cheap easy solution to some problems:
Sun Coast 24 Valve APPS Rewire Instruction Download, hope it helps.

bootsdodgejn 01-13-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RAWilliams (Post 470455)
Could be possible the TC is locking and unlocking? RPM staying constant, or changing with the surging? Here is a link from Sun Coast about a cheap easy solution to some problems:
Sun Coast 24 Valve APPS Rewire Instruction Download, hope it helps.

Yea ill have to see what the rpms are doing. That is a interesting article.
Thanks. Let you know what the problem was. I did get in a accident a while ago. And the shop had to take the battery's if i am right. Maybe they didn't tighten them down.

tb09 01-13-2010 11:29 AM

Damaged or loose battery cables could be the culprit.

bootsdodgejn 01-13-2010 03:41 PM

Yea im going to check in a lil..I know a while back dusty told me to put aluminum foil around a wire near the intake and alternator. That fixed the problem..I checked that and it was fine.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok so put foil around the wire that comes from the alt..Seems to fix the problem.:jump: Shall see once i drive it more.:humm:

Jared @ RiceFamilyFarmINC 01-13-2010 10:01 PM

Im having same issues with my 99 24v with 209,000 on here. My transmission guy says its either that my truck is smoking my brand new triple disk, or there is some electric noises through the wires caused by a possible premature failure of the alternator. Let me know what you find, im new on here so any advice would be welcomed.
Jared

bootsdodgejn 01-13-2010 10:58 PM

Idk if be the same on ur truck but try aluminum foil like i did.

moneyman_09 01-13-2010 11:09 PM

yea most any friend of mine around here has the aluminum foil around theirs even with an after market trans the frequency from the alternator throws off the lock up on the torque converter

bootsdodgejn 01-14-2010 01:30 AM

Welll dusty told me to do it a while back. I did. Come to find out the wrap job i did started to go bad....

DeLuzGN 01-14-2010 11:24 AM

Get a DTT noise filter and make sure ALL grounds are clean and tight.
Reset APPS if needed as well using a voltmeter.