Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   uneven idle? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/38772-uneven-idle.html)

98dodgecummins 12-20-2009 07:20 AM

uneven idle?

hello when i have drove my truck a little while and then when i come to a stop at idle my truck idles weird its like it is missing just a little bit.m trucks a 1998.5 24 valve dodge cummins.Thank Youits not very bad its just kinda noticeable at idle and its weird somedays are worse than others.

MacsDieselStore 12-20-2009 06:14 PM

you getting any puff of smoke when it misses? Any codes?

mishkaya 12-20-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 98dodgecummins (Post 455286)
hello when i have drove my truck a little while and then when i come to a stop at idle my truck idles weird its like it is missing just a little bit.m trucks a 1998.5 24 valve dodge cummins.Thank Youits not very bad its just kinda noticeable at idle and its weird somedays are worse than others.

I hate to say it, but it's not entirely unusual for this to happen. I have followed numerous threads over the years on this very topic, and as far as I know, no one has a definite explanation as to why this happens. It doesn't seem to be detrimental to the life of the truck though as one member on TDR had over 600k on the clock and had this problem when the truck was still under warranty...
My truck does the same occasionally, about 50 rpm variation and what seems like a slight miss. I have completely given up worrying about it at this point. The joys of electronics I suppose! :humm:

dshane62 12-20-2009 07:03 PM

on a p-7100 you can adjust each cylinder by turning the del. valve holder
thats how i got mine to stop doing that. some people say not to do that cuz thats how they balance each cylinder out. but if its missing it was not balanced very good or you got dirty injectors

NCFPD 12-20-2009 08:20 PM

I just had that same problem with my idle it i had to replace my injectors and now it runs like a top

98dodgecummins 12-20-2009 11:06 PM

to answer questions now my truck does not poof any smoke out when it skips. and about codes i dont know beucase i dont have a scanner? no i mean its not that big og a deal but i was just wandering what it was or if it is a bad problem but it doesnt seem to be that way.

NCFPD 12-21-2009 12:14 AM

myn start to do that only in park idleing and it only popped or missed what ever you wanna call it like oce every couple min. then after i replaced my vp bec. it needed it it started to do it constntly only in park like a constent miss i replace thein jectors and it was fine but the truck ran like a top it never hurt anything i just didnt like it sounding like there was a problem when sitting in a parkin lot or somthing

luke46 12-21-2009 09:36 AM

Mine was doing the exact same thing and I just turned up the idle a little because it drove me crazy but just installed a set of edm 50-60 horse injectors this weekend from lukes diesel and it runs and idles perfect now. Mine would idle fine at first but sounded like it had a small miss when I'd get off the highway or when I'd let it idle for extended periods.