Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   im lost (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/38760-im-lost.html)

01cummins13 12-19-2009 07:40 PM

im lost

Ok so i have no idea whats goin on with my truck. It runs absolutly great, but gets shit for mileage. I cleaned iat and map sensors, new fuel filter, cleaned air filter. Nothing has changed. I took it to the local performance shop and he used a smarty to upload the newest chrysler updates or whater so i guess ill see if that works but he couldnt think of anything either other than possible VP44 problem somewhere. So this summer i guess maybe ill try putting one on. I was looking at Blue Chip and their pumps. anybody have one on their truck? is it worth the price? Or does anyone have any advice on something i should try before that investment.:argh: thanks all:c:

wildbill 12-19-2009 08:08 PM

Maybe the Quad is causing it?? :humm:

01cummins13 12-19-2009 08:15 PM

well i originally had a smarty and i went from 17mpg to 14. and i was not beating on it and laying into it every chance i got. so i figured it was the smarty, so i sold it and bought the adr. while my truck was stock for 2 weeks, i went back to 17 mpg. put the adr back down to 14. but the truck still runs great, no codes no symptoms of an injector or pump going bad....maybe its just my truck maybe i bought a dud and just wont be able to get any mileage

mishkaya 12-19-2009 08:41 PM

Is that in town mileage or highway mileage? Do you have a stick or an auto? 2WD or 4WD? Oversize tires? Mileage seems somewhat on the low side to me, but it varies widely from truck to truck I am afraid. I have several of them, all about the same and mileage goes from about 14 in town on the '02 4WD auto, to 16 in town on the truck in my sig and nearly 20 in town with the bone stock '98 2WD five speed with over 350k on the clock. Go figure! :humm:

01cummins13 12-19-2009 09:50 PM

its an 01 5spd 4x4 and i guess you would call it in town driving, im kinda out in the stix a bit, not many lights or stop signs or very many big hills to climb and i run 285 75 16. and i think i have 3.55's

DB Admin 12-20-2009 05:48 AM

are you using the over head monitor or are you doing it by hand?

mishkaya 12-20-2009 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 01cummins13 (Post 455144)
its an 01 5spd 4x4 and i guess you would call it in town driving, im kinda out in the stix a bit, not many lights or stop signs or very many big hills to climb and i run 285 75 16. and i think i have 3.55's

Definitely sounds a bit low. Depending on mileage my guess would be either injectors or VP44. This said mileage varies quite a bit from truck to truck, and I have just learned to deal with it. On the truck in my sig, I was getting 16 in town when I purchased the truck bone stock at 78k. Did some minor bombs (Edge Comp, intake, exhaust) and mileage remained the same. Then went all out to what's in my sig, and mileage dropped less than 1/2 MPG, and yet I'm now well over 600HP. I find it somewhat surprising to say the very least...
Considering what you have, I would say you are just below average, but not by enough to really worry about it. The amount of money you will end up spending trying to improve mileage will never justify the small gains in mileage you will end up seeing IMO. I had tried that approach on the '02 in quest for better mileage, and never saw more than 1 MPG increase in mileage no matter what I tried (truck is now at around 450 HP). I don't regret the bombs done to it, but I never did see much of an increase either. On the plus side, the truck is quite a bit more fun to drive... :jump:

J-Pipes 12-20-2009 10:00 AM

Have you reset your spedometer for the oversized tires? I have heard guys claim as much as a 2-3 mpg inaccuracy with the bigger tires on the stock speedo.

01cummins13 12-20-2009 10:26 AM

i calculate the mileage by hand, i dont have an overhead monitor. how do you reset the speedo for the oversized tires? can i do it on my pulse?

mishkaya 12-20-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 01cummins13 (Post 455359)
i calculate the mileage by hand, i dont have an overhead monitor. how do you reset the speedo for the oversized tires? can i do it on my pulse?

You can adjust your Pulse to show accurate speed according to tire size, but you cannot adjust the speedometer with it. A Smarty would allow you to do that, but only while it is installed.
According to a standard tire calculator, when your speedometer shows 55.6 mph you are actually driving 60 mph, so a 7.78% difference.