Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   vp44 bracket broke / power steering pump removal (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/3741-vp44-bracket-broke-power-steering-pump-removal.html)

Shelby322 07-29-2007 08:53 AM

vp44 bracket broke / power steering pump removal

While removing the injection pump from my 99 we found the infamous broken support bracket - here's the question

once I get a new bracket, it looks as though the power steering pump will just unbolt with about 4 bolts. Is there anything to look out for while removing the pump to get at the bracket mounted to the block? What about reinstalling the power steering pump = just looking for any info before I rip into this any further

thanks

Scott

Uncle Bubba 07-29-2007 09:21 AM

Hopefully somebody will jump in here to verify that what I'm sayin is right cause I'm goin off my bad memory here. The power steering pump is connected to the Vaccuum pump. In between the two is a seal that is notorious for going bad and leaking oil. If your going to seperate the Vac and steering pump I would deffinately have a new seal on hand. Personaly I think I would pull the Vaccuum Pump lose from the back side of the timing case, it's much easier to get back in place while still in the truck then then trying to re-connect the two pumps while keeping that seal intact.

Uncle Bubba 07-29-2007 09:24 AM

If like most of us you have oil coating the underside of your truck ti may be a good time to spend the $60 for the Vaccuum Pump rebuild kit if your taking it out anyway. It comes with a step by step video for the re-build process and all the special tools needed. Takes about 45 minutes to do the whole thing. The hardest part of it is taking the pumps in and out and your planning on doing that anyway.

Shelby322 07-29-2007 06:22 PM

thanks for the input

Scott

AndyMan 08-02-2007 10:13 PM

Yeah, that vacuum pump rebuild kit is money WELL spent. The DVD is great, and the job's really not too bad. Best $60 I've spent on the truck. The guy that sells it is really friendly too.

USAFGopherMike 12-13-2009 04:50 PM

How can you tell if it's the vacuum pump or the power steering pump that's bad? I have a new PS pump ready to go in my 99, but before I start taking things apart, I want to be sure I've got the right problem.

A week ago, it got really cold here in WY and I came out to find a puddle of PS fluid on the ground. Looks like it came out the top of the PS pump reservoir. The truck has been making a whirling noise for awhile now whenever the wheel is turned. When I got in the truck after finding the puddle, there was no power steering and the brake pedal was really stiff. Is this the power steering pump, the vacuum pump, or something to do with the hydra boost? When the truck is warm, and I turn the wheel, it turns, but it's as if there is resistance and there is PS assist at times, but not all the time.

Thanks.

USAFGopherMike 12-18-2009 04:28 PM

bump

Smokem 12-18-2009 04:50 PM

You can buy the vacuum pump reseal kit from a Cummins dealer for ~ $15, in cold weather cut the power steering fluid down with some #2 diesel.

USAFGopherMike 12-18-2009 05:03 PM

Thanks Smoke. Do you think it's the vacuum pump? How can you tell?

As for cutting the power steering fluid with diesel, wouldn't that be corrosive and are the lines made to handle that? I've heard a lot of people use ATF.

Smokem 12-19-2009 01:39 PM

The vacuum pump will leak engine oil, sounds like your issue is the power steering pump. I use ATF and have never had an issue, I know a few people that have used #2 in cold climates without issue.