Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Voltmeter fluctuating (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/36614-voltmeter-fluctuating.html)

RAW 11-20-2009 07:54 AM

Wow, that's a sin when coming to changing batteries. They should ALWAYS be changed in pairs. I have seen nothing but trouble, and reduced life from batteries when changed one at a time, or mixing types.

guesswho512 11-22-2009 09:48 AM

it is worth mentioning that there are 2 heaters in the grid but you only use the 2nd at 30 degree F. i think just the one kicks on at 60F.
i used to like in an apartment and my parking space was to far to run a cord to the block heater. i froze to hell one year and i just "cycled" the heaters(key on, wait to start, key off, key on, wait to start) and never had a problem. i knew alot of people who didn't drive their diesels those days cause they wouldn't start!:argh: gotta love glow plugs:argh:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i am no authority on the subject. from what i understand you can mix batteries as long as they have the same voltage and capacities. some people add 2 or 3 more batteries.
if your batteries have different voltage then the stronger ones are always charging the weaker ones. you have to unhook each battery before checking voltages otherwise you get combined numbers. when selecting batteries some look to the manufacturing date. just my 2cents

mblueyes 12-07-2009 06:42 PM

I have a 2002 5.9L with the air Grid heater. It is drawing 100 amp. the post on one of the relays melted off. I think there is something wrong. Does anyone know what the amp draw should be? :humm:

RAW 12-08-2009 08:14 AM

I saw a Cummins bulletin stating that each grid heater drew 110 amps @ 12V. So two of them will draw 220A @ 12V. BUT this is a dynamic system, with that much current the system can not stay at 12V. Mine will usually drop down to about 8V.

So with both at a full 12V you're getting 2640 watts, but at 8V this drops to around 1173W (using ideal conductors, the resistance won't actually be constant). This may actually be the reason the heaters cycle. To give the heaters more 12V time so they can heat more efficiently. Trying to continue to power them at 8V or lower isn't getting the most bang for your buck... who knows!
Found on another Forum while searching for the answer. Most likely cause of melted terminals, in my mind, poor connections. With that much juice flowing all connections need to be clean and tight.

NCFPD 12-08-2009 12:53 PM

yea myn used to get really hot and melt a lil and then i had to do some work on it one day found that it was a little loose fixed that and i havnt had a touch of warmth since come from it

mblueyes 12-27-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mblueyes (Post 446773)
I have a 2002 5.9L with the air Grid heater. It is drawing 100 amp. the post on one of the relays melted off. I think there is something wrong. Does anyone know what the amp draw should be? :humm:

I found that the belt was bad.... I had some one check the coolant level and they added water. The tank over flowed and got antifreeze on the belt. Replaced the belt and everything is great now. The volt meter read 14 volts all the time. :jump:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I found that the belt was bad.... I had some one check the coolant level and they added water. The tank over flowed and got antifreeze on the belt. Replaced the belt and everything is great now. The volt meter read 14 volts all the time.