Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Had temp fluctuations... checked and noticed coolant is brown and muddy (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/35145-had-temp-fluctuations-checked-noticed-coolant-brown-muddy.html)

AndyMan 10-28-2009 10:05 PM

Had temp fluctuations... checked and noticed coolant is brown and muddy

Welp.... Past couple days, I've had trouble with the coolant temp fluctuating... figured it was something simple. Tonight, I opened up the radiator to find it HALF-FULL.... What coolant is in there is brown... and the inside of the radiator is covered in what looks like mud. Nasty.

Block is a Fiddy3. Doesn't APPEAR to be cracked in the normal places.... I have yet to notice a leaks, puddles, etc. Temp fluctuations were my only clue to this.

Also note that the oil appears to be normal...

So what've we got going on here?

Thanks Y'all!!!
Andy

Whit 10-28-2009 10:10 PM

prolly never been changes ever..............do a good flush on it...........maybe twice then do new coolant and a new thermo and see what shakes out bro

RAW 10-28-2009 10:14 PM

Hate to say it but, it could be a head gasket. Loosen the drain plug and see if any coolant trickles out of there, hope not. Otherwise fill the coolant system up, and get the engine to operating temperature. Remove the rad cap and load the engine up to make some boost, while a buddy looks for bubbles forming in the radiator.

wildbill 10-28-2009 10:16 PM

Don't be surprised if the heater core leaks along with the water pump.

RAW 10-28-2009 10:24 PM

I recently removed my heater core and evaporator in my truck. I can let you know what I had to do if you have to remove yours. My A/C evaporator was plugged due to dirt clinging to the condensation. Gave it a good cleaning, and air flow increased by at least 4 times.

AndyMan 10-28-2009 10:35 PM

Hey Whit, I changed the coolant and removed/cleaned radiator summer 08...

Originally Posted by RAWilliams (Post 420145)
Loosen the drain plug and see if any coolant trickles out of there, hope not.

What drain plug you talkin' about? The lower radiator petcock?

Originally Posted by RAWilliams (Post 420145)
Otherwise fill the coolant system up, and get the engine to operating temperature. Remove the rad cap and load the engine up to make some boost, while a buddy looks for bubbles forming in the radiator.

Another good trick for this is to leave the rad cap on and pull the rubber holse from the overflow tank and stick in a cup of water...look for bubbles.

The brown MUD-like substance is whats bothering me.... where'd that come from?

Could all this come from a bad cap? wtrpump? Tstat?

Thanks Fella's

Whit 10-28-2009 10:36 PM

clean the shit outa it.........I think its residule

AndyMan 10-28-2009 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Whitmore (Post 420162)
clean the shit outa it.........I think its residule

THIS is why I love you man!

lol. Man, I've missed being around here.

Whit 10-28-2009 10:46 PM

seriously..........I dont think you have a craked head or block, if you did there would be oil in the coolant as the oil pressure is more than the coolant operating pressure...............there would be bubbles too

RAW 10-29-2009 07:46 AM

What drain plug you talkin' about? The lower radiator petcock?

No, on the oil pan.

Another good trick for this is to leave the rad cap on and pull the rubber holse from the overflow tank and stick in a cup of water...look for bubbles.

If you do this, you must wait for the coolant system to build enough pressure to overcome the rad cap.