Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Cruse Control Quits. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/34999-cruse-control-quits.html)

01trailerpuller 10-26-2009 04:43 PM

Cruse Control Quits.

I have a 2001 4x4. Every so often my cruse control will quit and I can not turn it back on or it will not turn on at all. I am throwing P1596 speed control switch always high code with the key test. Has anyone had this problem? If so, how do you correct these problems?

wildbill 10-26-2009 05:03 PM

Either a faulty sensor, a short, or a dirty connection.

01trailerpuller 10-26-2009 05:06 PM

Is this part of the speed sensor? Which connections should I checkout?

Captn_tyler 10-26-2009 05:10 PM

Just had the same problem, mine was the switch on the steering wheel. Really easy to get too. I just unplugged it, sprayed cleaner on the plugs. Let everything dry real good, die-electic greese. Back on the road, holds good speed. Its easy, and cant hurt.

Uncle Bubba 10-26-2009 05:14 PM

APPS goin out or just out of adjustment and a bad vacuum line can also cause problems like this.

Any problems with the 4X4 not engaging or the vac pump leakin oil.

01trailerpuller 10-26-2009 05:25 PM

I have not had any problems with my 4x4 and no oil leaks on the vacum pump.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Captn_tyler (Post 418455)
Just had the same problem, mine was the switch on the steering wheel. Really easy to get too. I just unplugged it, sprayed cleaner on the plugs. Let everything dry real good, die-electic greese. Back on the road, holds good speed. Its easy, and cant hurt.

Where and how did you unplug it to clean it?

Captn_tyler 10-26-2009 05:31 PM

Back of the steering wheel, there are two bolts remove them, than your airbag and horn button come out as one unit. Becarful with the airbag, you dont want that puppy going off. I found that a nut driver works good, I think it was 8mm or 10mm. Oh dont mess with the air bag plugs, just rest it off to the side. Than you can remove the switchs, I used a can of air that you use on the key board, to blow the dust out of the swich, I swear they are little computers or somthing. Than a little shot of electroics cleaner, let dry, die-electic grease. Than put it back together.

Uncle Bubba 10-26-2009 05:34 PM

Pull the ground off both batteries before you do anything with that air bag, this will deactivate it. One small slip that crosses those wires and a good many mechanics have died through the years.

Captn_tyler 10-26-2009 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba (Post 418468)
Pull the ground off both batteries before you do anything with that air bag, this will deactivate it. One small slip that crosses those wires and a good many mechanics have died through the years.

Bubba, that is good to know. I will always do that in the future :U:

01trailerpuller 10-26-2009 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba (Post 418459)
APPS goin out

There was a thread on the APPS adjustment I will try that after I check the connections and I will remember to disconnect the batteries. Thank you, that would suck to have it go off on me.