Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Any easy engine upgrades, tweaks, or swaps for a 98.5 24v? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/33980-any-easy-engine-upgrades-tweaks-swaps-98-5-24v.html)

tower_ofpower 10-12-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Renteria1217 (Post 409897)
When you say stock fuel canister are you referring to the fuel filter or the lift pump? Also how do I know which sensor is which?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Do I have to use a sensor cleaner or can I use something more convenient around the garage?

i'm pretty sure you can use anything to clean the sensors that doesnt leave a residue. brake cleaner may be abit harsh; especially the top dollar stuff. the cheaper store brand stuff isnt nearly as good so it may be acceptable but to be safe. MAF cleaner is the ticket. a MAF has to be perfectly clean or it can cause some screw things so i'd suspect the cleaner is top notch.

Diesel Dawgs Performance 10-12-2009 11:37 PM

IAT is farther back on the Engine than the MAP.

dennhop 10-13-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mysterync (Post 408704)
A inline holley blue is a cheap option, really theres no performance mods for free with these trucks. Boost elbows are also pretty cheap but wont do much for performance.

I'd stay away from the holley blue...heard more issues with those pumps than anything else. If you're going to go with an aftermarket pump, then just get a reputable one, Air Dog or FASS, just stay away from the FASS DDRP.

A boost elbow by its self might bump you up from 19-20 psi of boost to 24-26 psi, but it's not going to do much by itself. You need a box to get your money's worth out of a boost elbow. Elbows by themselves are pretty cheap, about 20-25 bucks, but you'll get one with the box if you buy brand new...

Originally Posted by oudive (Post 409377)
To be flat out honest, I think apart from the silencer ring, there is not alot out there. Poke around on the site, you can find some ways to wire up a loc up switch, smoke switch, even a home made high idle wiring diagram.....
look here and you might get some ideas

Silencer ring does nothing but makes the turbo louder. No improvement in performance.

Smoke switch does nothing without a boost fooler, or box.

I've got a manual high idle switch installed that I bought off a guy formerly on Idaho Bombers Forum, HBowers. dunno if he's on here, but if he is, you can get one from him. It doesn't work great for warming up, but to hold the idle up while operating extra accessories, it works great! (I use it while I'm winching, to keep my batteries charged up)

mysterync 10-13-2009 07:36 PM

lol Those are the only things I could think of anywhere near free :D

Renteria1217 10-13-2009 09:53 PM

I don't necessarily mean free or even real cheap. Just stuff I can do easily in my garage with basic tools. Some swaps would be cool. I used to like going to the junk yard with the old man. We'd pull stuff out of other trucks that would fit in his truck, like axles inter coolers, cosmetic stuff, etc. I knew someone who took some posi trac axles of of a big older truck that fit right onto his toyato. Things that would improve the trucks performance or whatever. That kind of stuff would be cool to know about.

Also, I checked really quick this morning and could not tell where the MAF or IAT sensors where. I'd like to clean them and see if it helps anything. I've never done it so I need help finding and identifying them.

Dr. Evil 10-13-2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Renteria1217 (Post 409897)
Do I have to use a sensor cleaner or can I use something more convenient around the garage?

Electrical contact cleaner - available at most auto parts stores

mysterync 10-13-2009 11:20 PM

Well if thats the case,
I would consider a Airdog 100 or 150 depending on the desired power level and uses of the truck, A good set of injectors (100 Horse max if you dont plan to upgrade the charger), Somthing like a Edge Drag Comp and a 4" or 5" Budget Exhaust from Luke @ Diesel Dawgs
All of those can be installed pretty easily in the driveway!
For the most part, Your pretty limited on swaps to "better" the truck, Of course there's some stuff that folks are swapping out. Do you have the fold out tow mirrors?

Originally Posted by Renteria1217 (Post 410471)
I don't necessarily mean free or even real cheap. Just stuff I can do easily in my garage with basic tools. Some swaps would be cool. I used to like going to the junk yard with the old man. We'd pull stuff out of other trucks that would fit in his truck, like axles inter coolers, cosmetic stuff, etc. I knew someone who took some posi trac axles of of a big older truck that fit right onto his toyato. Things that would improve the trucks performance or whatever. That kind of stuff would be cool to know about.

Also, I checked really quick this morning and could not tell where the MAF or IAT sensors where. I'd like to clean them and see if it helps anything. I've never done it so I need help finding and identifying them.

dennhop 10-14-2009 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by mysterync (Post 410359)
lol Those are the only things I could think of anywhere near free :D

gotcha.........................:U:

Kentucky99 10-14-2009 10:29 AM

I had a guy adjust my waist gate.I was gettin around 18 to19 psi. Now I'm gettin 30! All that cost me was 40 bucks. BD does have a boost fooler that does the same thing electrically. Here's the link for ya. :c: BD-Power Turbo Boost Builder

Renteria1217 10-14-2009 09:18 PM

I don't have the fold out tow mirrors? That would be sweet! My mirrors are actually already cracked, need new ones anyways. I've thought about adjusting the wastegate or buying a boost fooler. I'm kind of afraid to play with the turbo having the auto transmission. Don't know if it's the original or not, truck has 196,000. I can't really afford to burn it up yet. Saving for the new tranny still. But if I did do a boost fooler I'd probably want gauges too huh.