Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Killer Dowel Pin (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/26451-killer-dowel-pin.html)

turbo20psi 05-09-2009 09:33 PM

Killer Dowel Pin

Well had some time today to tear apart to put in the killer dowel pin kit in and I didnt need it I am guessing I have the new or improved cover if you could said a 2001 is new.Did anybody else do all this work not that is wasnt worth it to find out they didnt need it. Wasnt bad until I busted the crank seal in the kit:madd::argh::argh::argh:. went to the dodge stealer:booo::booo::booo::booo:they had one. Some advice is to run the engine after the work is complete and then change the oil from all the gasket residue from cleaning the surfaces:ok1:.

dan33klein 05-09-2009 11:57 PM

how was the breakdown of the timing case?
looking to do it on my 96 12 valve and wanted some info before i tackled it
thanks

Fishin2Deep4U 05-10-2009 12:22 AM

In have checked some 2000 models that had new cases. In fact, I just tore down an early '01 last week, same thing, new case.

You just don't know until you tear it down.

Dave

94cummins12v 05-10-2009 12:40 AM

nothin like alittle hand on ation to learn more about your truck. tear into and see if its good than thats a bonus

Uncle Bubba 05-10-2009 10:39 AM

On the good side now, you never have to worry about it again.:U:

turbo20psi 05-10-2009 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by dan33klein (Post 335744)
how was the breakdown of the timing case?
looking to do it on my 96 12 valve and wanted some info before i tackled it
thanks

The break down wasnt bad, took me about 4 hours taking my time. Just order the kit and have it on hand if you need it. Take your time installing the crank seal it must be square in the houseing it installs from the back of the cover. I had electric fans so i did not have to take the fan,fan srout out it saved some time. The dampr was ths hards defintly needs a the air tools, you may need to order new bolts for your year for the dampr they are ( touque to yield bolts).:U::U::U:

dan33klein 05-10-2009 07:17 PM

thanks for the info whats the dampr?
i think im gunna order the tst kit as everyone says there the best quality one?
is it hard to get in there and see with the motor in the truck?
i got all the air tools and the stuff.
im just gunna order the kit and go from there

turbo20psi 05-10-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by dan33klein (Post 336000)

The dampr is the harmonic balancer that bolts to the crank, what i did was order a new one from Fluidampr (Horschel)any of the sponsers can give you a price on here and install a new one, it really quites the truck down, smooth idle, faster rev , more horepower maybe?No it is not hard to see just get a mirror makes it easy to see your whole gear housing,razor blades to remove the gasket material if you dont have a gasket removing wheel air tool. Fluidampr Application:
Application: 92-98 Dodge 5.9L Cummins 12V Fluidampr Performance Diesel Series Damper #960311 • Dodge Cummins 5.9 (1992 to early 1998). BEFORE REMOVING THE STOCK DAMPER, rotate the engine so that the magnetic pick up is not on one of the notches in the outside diameter of the stock damper. If you do not have access to the gap spec, use a feeler gage to measure and record the gap between the magnetic pick up and the stock damper.• Dodge Cummins 5.9 (1992 to early 1998). BEFORE INSTALLING THE FLUIDAMPR, loosen the magnetic pick up and move it outward to clear the larger Fluidampr. Install the Fluidampr, torque the bolts to the proper torque, and readjust the magnetic pick up to the previously measured gap or to the manufacturers spec.:pca1::c:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U (Post 335749)
In have checked some 2000 models that had new cases. In fact, I just tore down an early '01 last week, same thing, new case.

You just don't know until you tear it down.

Dave

Brought mine in Feb. 2001 production date dec 2000. Did they have torx head bolts holding the case on? Mine did

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba (Post 335831)
On the good side now, you never have to worry about it again.:U:

I know just the thought of having a small piece of metal dropping in at 3500 rpm :humm::humm: With my luck at would take out every gaer in there.:madd::madd:

Fishin2Deep4U 05-10-2009 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by turbo20psi (Post 336036)

Brought mine in Feb. 2001 production date dec 2000. Did they have torx head bolts holding the case on? Mine did

Not in every case.

Dave

Originally Posted by dan33klein (Post 336000)

We get our parts from Cummins NW. A new seal, a $1 tab and a a tube of RTV Ultra Black and you are set!

Dave

bajabomber87 11-25-2009 03:20 PM

Does anyone have the torque spec for the bolts holding the balancer to the crank?

And I installed my seal the same as factory, it doesn't go in from the back side like the op stated.