Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Trans is hunting gears. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/26001-trans-hunting-gears.html)

Nitelord 04-28-2009 10:48 PM

Trans is hunting gears.

I know I've seen a discussion on this, but I can't find it..

Apps sensor is only 3 months old. New oil and filter change last week.
With the warmer weather came this problem with the tranny hunting gears mostly while in overdrive, but if I turn the overdrive off it still does it.

It happens on the street, mostly when the engine is not under a load (just puttin' along).
While towing, it happens anytime I get off the pedal.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I reset the Apps via the battery disconnect and the problem went away until the warm weather came in again. Any time it's over 60 deg. the problem is sure to occur.

Thanks for all your help and advice. :c::c::c:

Grider Pirate 04-28-2009 11:53 PM

If it's happening around 40ish mph, and what's happening feels at all like the torque converter is locking-unlockin-locking-unlocking...... check all your ground connections, consider wrapping the big wire from the alternator that dissapears under the passenger side battery with foil, and, worst case, make or buy an elecrical filter and install it (sorry, don't remember where it goes, but it's been covered on this forum or DTR before).
My '99 did it when I first got it. Disconnecting the batteries for a while and reconnecting them would fix it for a while, sometimes a couple days, sometimes a week, then it would start doing it again. Just disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting every wire that attached to the alternator (both ends of each, and any connectors in between) fixed it more permanently. It hasn't happened again in two years.
Good hunting.
:U:

yankeeflatsdiesel 04-29-2009 02:09 AM

I had a problem with my old 01 that I no longer have thanks to a no good thief, but any how it ended up needing a update in the valve body and it never did it again. The auto matic woes are the reason my truck I have now has the six speed in it, plus I have more control over the engine when I tow.

Nitelord 04-29-2009 03:08 PM

Thanks much. It gives me some way forward. I greatly appreciate the help...:U::U::U:

DB Admin 04-29-2009 03:25 PM

Isolate the Apps Wires out of the main wire loom runing to your ecm

Diesel Dawgs Performance 04-29-2009 04:22 PM

Get a DTT Noise Filter and never look back

torquey 04-29-2009 05:14 PM

dtt noise filter?

Jazz 04-29-2009 05:21 PM

I would 2nd the ground thing. I went round and round with mine. I even checked the grounds and all looked good. After every thing else I finally took all connections off and cleaned and ground everything. FIXED:U: Hope it works for ya:c:

I even had a weak battery once that did the same thing. Just screwed things up a little. Truck ran fine but not quite perfect

DeLuzGN 04-29-2009 10:12 PM

This is a common problem with these trucks. You're not alone!

Like others said, DTT noise filter (DTT trans--call them), good batteries, and clean tight grounds.
I also just added a ground from the PCM to the negative battery terminal after having some odd issues with the torque converter staying locked up.....it fixed it.
Good batteries and clean tight grounds are VERY important.

Good clean tranny fluid and a new filter never hurts either.