Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   common rail pump swap w/ vp44 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/25018-common-rail-pump-swap-w-vp44.html)

djwhonda92 04-07-2009 10:00 PM

common rail pump swap w/ vp44

has anyone ever done it?? if so how difficult would it be to do??

Diesel Dawgs Performance 04-07-2009 10:26 PM

So you want to make VP a CR? Not sure if its been done or not. I guess anything is possible with enough $$$$$.

Luke

06 DIESEL 04-08-2009 02:21 AM

Do you want to make a VP into a CR or a CR into a VP?

AF1CUMMINS 04-09-2009 11:03 AM

I think he's asking about puttin a CP3 on a VP44. I asked about this b4 on here, I think someone said there were electrical and ECM issues that would prevent this. I think I may know why they want it too. The reason I asked is this, let's face it guys, the CR motor don't sound anywhere near as good straight piped as a VP44 truck or a 12V. If I could have the power gains that you could get from havin a CP3 truck out of my 24V, I'd probably never own another truck. But I'm sure in time, somebody with A LOT more money than what I've got will come up with a way to do it, just like they've come up with ways to P-pump the 24V trucks.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

any of you super mechanics got any input on how this could work or is it even possible?

stkdram55 04-09-2009 11:24 AM

i think it's possible, but like stated above getting the electronics to talk would be the difficult part of the swap...addin the pump and rail would be the easy part...but then you have to get the electronic injectors, the CR ecm, and then if you did get that all to work programming it for more power would be another adventure IMO....it would be sweet though.

If i were gonna do something like that i would just swap a hole CR into a 2nd gen body:U::pca1:

Red_Rattler 04-09-2009 11:45 AM

As to sound, I guess if you put a old 24v exhaust manifold on the cr it totally changes the sound. But alot/all of the sound change comes with the high pressure injection system not the motor or internals.... :pca1:

stkdram55 04-09-2009 11:52 AM

yeah its the fuel system, the duramax's and CR dodges sound alot alike and its because they both use the same fuel system

wtfd6 04-09-2009 12:23 PM

If my engine ever goes it will become a CR truck:U:

sstockton 04-09-2009 07:03 PM

They are two totally different beasts. The CP3 is a high pressure fuel pump. All it does is pressurize fuel in a "common rail" then the injectors are electronically controlled. The VP Pressurizes the fuel, then a rotor inside distributes the pressurized fuel out to the injectors individually, then the injectors pop open when a certain pressure roughly 260KPa is reached. The swap would require, the pump, cover, pulley, ECM, probably a PCM as well, Fuel rail, head and injectors. It would be a lot easier to swap a complete motor into your truck.
A common rail 2nd gen would be awesome though.
Sean