Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   programmers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/18647-programmers.html)

Big Bill 11-23-2008 09:17 AM

programmers

I have a 2001 Cummins. Any suggestions on a programmer to start with? I don't pull, drag or any of that fun stuff. This truck takes to work and back. I very seldom work the truck. I have it because I love the Cummins. I was told a programmer would help my tranny. I put a bit larger tire on the truck and now the truck hates going the speed limit. 285/75/16,s.

Any suggestions?

BB

Mopar1973Man 11-23-2008 10:07 AM

As far as I know most all programmers limit out at about 60-65 HP period...

I would head for a good enhancement box like Edge or similar.

Like Myself I run my Edge Comp wide open on 5x5 and pull 21-23 MPG easy... It's all about timing for the MPG's... But is nice to have the power at the drop of your foot too... :yeah:

Nitelord 11-23-2008 10:52 AM

You might consider a Smarty. I love mine. I run the smarty program on 8 all the time. It's nice having the code info, high idle and tire diameter adjustment - available. It does some other things, But I've not played with it yet.

I only turn the Edge comp on to play. Other than that the smarty has lots of fun in it.

busta 11-23-2008 10:54 AM

get an adrenaline with the pulse :U:

Nitelord 11-23-2008 10:58 AM

I haven't had the opportunity to run anything with the adrenaline. I hear really good things about it. But I have no first hand experience. I believe Cumminsdieselboy and his father run them. Maybe drop a PM to them. If I recall they had to work through a couple of issues. I could be mistaken...:ph:

Mr.Krabs 11-23-2008 11:05 AM

Do these things help the tranny? (comp/smarty/edge)
If you are just looking for a little more power just put some 275s in it and be done with it.
The injectors are cheap,and don't make things "funny" for your truck.

I don't have an automatic,so I'm not sure what works the best.
I've heard that a superchips/other can be used to firm up your shifts,like I say,I don't have an auto truck,so I don't know sh*t but what ppl have told me...

Fishin2Deep4U 11-23-2008 01:08 PM

Programmers and boxes are harder on the automatic than injectors at the same rated HP. This is due to the electronic boxes adding more fuel at an earlier throttle setting than injectors alone. So, less throttle equals lower initial line pressure and that equals faster wear.

Give us a few more details about what your long term goals are with the truck along with the current setup. It'll be much easier to make good recommendations to you.

Dave

Mopar1973Man 11-23-2008 02:54 PM

Auto trans are weak from the get go and any kind of extra power against a auto tranny is asking for damage.

Maybe its a good thing I never like autos and bought a 5 speed...:w2:

Shecom3 11-23-2008 03:02 PM

I like my adrenaline and use upper power settings with caution,due to a stock auto trans.I did make the mistake of hooking up to our 37'camper without checking the settings,I had it on 4 and noticed trans slipping immediately.A fuel delivery upgrade is a must if you run it past stock for any period of time IMO.

scottsjeeprolet 11-23-2008 03:18 PM

I like my Adrenaline, they have most of the bugs worked out of them.
Who ever told you a box/programmer would help your tranny is dead wrong! :tttt:
A box/programmer will help kill your stock trans real fast. I have a BD Valve body, TCI torque converter and a trans controller. Without them my trans would be dead by now.
You might start with an Edge EZ and go from there until you can upgrade your trans.