Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Chinese Heads????? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/15742-chinese-heads.html)

Diesel Nut 08-27-2008 08:26 AM

Chinese Heads?????

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone ever pull the head off and find MADE IN CHINA in the casting????

We are having a battle with one of our vendors over a head that was supposed to be port/polished on the exhaust side and then shipped to the customer. Well, its been on the truck about 6-8 months and he stripped out 2 of the rocker arm bolt in the head. So, he pulled the head and found MADE IN CHINA in the casting.

Attachment 56505

Basically, The customer and I are in the position to say that Cummins DID NOT use Chinese heads on North American motors. Anyone know otherwise?

The Vendor claims to have pulled the head off a 99 2500. Now, he also claims there were some issues with the head and he had to send it to another machine shop. The customer mentioned when he received the head that the Port/Polish work looked a little shotty. I think a switch was made at the other machine shop myself, but will never be able to prove that. I really just need to know if anyone else has ever heard of a Cummins with the original head having a China stamp on it.

stkdram55 08-27-2008 08:31 AM

No never seen or heard of this and with all the people rippin there heads off or blowing them off (RSwords, Ben, ICsmoke:w2:) i would think someone of noticed this. So i would agree that a switch was made.:argh:

Forrest Nearing 08-27-2008 08:45 AM

I think most of the 5.9 heads are cast in Brazil. There are a lot of chinese heads out there, but I don't think they're OEM. I would send an email to Cummins

Diesel Nut 08-27-2008 09:28 AM

The customer works for Cummins, so we do have that inside info, and he is researching it more. I am just trying to find out if anyone else has ever seen or heard of this.

I am trying to work with the vendor to fix this, but he does not seem too interested. I just want to make sure that there is no way I could be wrong and maybe Cummins ran short and had to order heads from their China foundry.

scottsjeeprolet 08-27-2008 01:56 PM

Might want to check the casting number and see if it match's any of the OEM heads you have around. Cummins should be able to look up that number and see if it's theirs.

bigdaddydiesel 08-27-2008 02:01 PM

:humm::humm::humm:

Forrest Nearing 08-27-2008 08:56 PM

why is it backwards? you sure that isn't a marking on the deck left from the gasket?

Benjamin 08-27-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing (Post 200985)
why is it backwards? you sure that isn't a marking on the deck left from the gasket?

That's a good question Forrest..... it kind of looks like that to me too....

Originally Posted by stkdram55 (Post 200408)
No never seen or heard of this and with all the people rippin there heads off or blowing them off (RSwords, Ben, ICsmoke:w2:) i would think someone of noticed this. So i would agree that a switch was made.:argh:

um.... i'm on the stock head and original head gasket and head bolts thank you very much.....

stkdram55 08-27-2008 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 200987)
That's a good question Forrest..... it kind of looks like that to me too....

um.... i'm on the stock head and original head gasket and head bolts thank you very much.....

Well i figured with all that NOS talk it might of went:pca1::c:

turbomar 08-30-2008 02:46 PM

gasket print

Yeah, that mark is the print left from the hea:howdy:d gasket. It'l buff right out!