Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Hard start (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/136292-hard-start.html)

COL BRADDOCK 05-02-2019 10:49 AM

Hard start

Hi all, ive used the site a few times over the years so I finally decided to join!

Got harding starting when the engine warms up. Once it starts no signs of trouble. Shut it off and it can take a few seconds of cranking to get it going...

started it this morning cold and chugged for a bit then fired up. The start seemed a but laboured as if battery or starter pwr.

Battery 13.5ohms..drops to 9 when starter engaged then eventually works back up to 14.22

Rp100 lp. Edge tuner shows a solid 16-18psi.changed fuel filter.

Codes are;

po336
P1693
p1682

Want to rule out the simple things before I even go down the VP44 road.

anyone see anything similar??

gasserssuck 05-09-2019 10:23 AM

P1693 is a companion code, means other codes are present.
Po336 is the crankshaft position sensor
p1682 is a low voltage fault
I've heard of dirty grounds doing some weird things. I'd clean the battery terminals and posts and clean the ground connections where they ground to the pickup. Might also have both the batteries load tested. That's where I'd start anyway.

COL BRADDOCK 06-14-2019 10:31 AM

Sorry for the delay...had spinal surgery so ive been out of commission for a while.

So I replaced the batteries and they were shot. Still have the hard start when warm. I ordered the Crankshaft position sensor. If im correct in the 99 it only had a CAMSHAFT position sensor vice CRANKSHAFT (same part no.). CPS is located above the starter and I cant seem to find a CKP sensor at the front of the motor which leads me to believe there is only one sensor and that is the Camshaft position sensor.

any thoughts?

Bigg Redd 06-16-2019 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by gasserssuck (Post 1157270)
P1693 is a companion code, means other codes are present.
Po336 is the crankshaft position sensor
p1682 is a low voltage fault
I've heard of dirty grounds doing some weird things. I'd clean the battery terminals and posts and clean the ground connections where the just batt ground to the pickup. Might also have both the batteries load tested. That's where I'd start anyway.

X's 2 :c: A dirty or bad ground connection will raise havoc and cause all kinds of headaches. For starters, make sure all ground contacts are clean, not just battery terminals, but the other end of the cables, ground straps, all ground connections. There are several, so you will have to search high and low. I clean mine yearly as a part of regular maintenance. Good luck!

COL BRADDOCK 09-10-2019 08:10 PM

Pressurized the tank and I found the problem pretty quick as gas poured out.

on the top of the gas tank the vent was missing the rubber cap causing the fuel line to lose prime and leak back into the tank.

Replaced rubber cap..problem solved.