24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Truck Pulls Steady to the Right.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Pulls Steady to the Right.

I know there are forms out there for this, but most are older. I have some pretty specific questions, and numbers to share from an alignment.
Question 1: What part in the front end could be worn out that would keep Caster (Not camber) from coming into the green?
Question 2: Why would I need an adjustable Ball Joint to correct an Axle that is not bent? This truck has not been in an accident as far as I know, and I have put ball joints in it before, and the problem was not corrected.

I have attached the alignment numbers. The caster is way off. From what I understand it should be in the 3.5 degree range. Its in the .5 and .2 range. Left side Right side.

I have also attached a picture of the wear on the front tire. Now some of that wear could have come from the other side. I think the tires were rotated during the alignment. I can't remember.
I figured adjustable ball joints will bring my camber into the green the quickest.

I have to get this crappy steering fixed because I'm borderline about to buy a Chevy. Any help is very much appreciated.

Sorry guys. I can't get the pictures to rotate.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Caster is normally changed by the cam adjusters on the control arms. What you essentially need to do is make the lower arm longer (or upper shorter) so that the whole diff rotates backward slightly in the truck.

Do you have the 98-99 HD steering? It does a proper job at keeping the toe-in static. The constantly changing toe on the Y-steering contributes to odd tire wear.